PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bars

LateModel B23
12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Outpace greaseable ??? Chromemoly tube and chromemoly rod ends ??? Just the usual steel tube and rod end ?? What is everyones preference/favorite ??

RaceMentally
12-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Swedge tubes work but do not hold up under an impact well. Anyone running a swedge tube on the top link is crazy as I see them break all the time. Chromoly is fine but dom is fine too. Swege tubes are only 1" od and then taper to the 5/8" threads. Weak design in my opinion and it shows when in a wreck. As for strength as well an aluminum arm is actually stronger on the 3/4" threaded stock hex shaped 1 1/4" od by a little over 10,000 lbs of shear force. We load tested them. However after a side impact they are weakened immensely. If anyone wants to argue its heavier and has more unsprung weight over 90% of the cars I have in my shop or see are guilty of other unprung weight items. As for rod ends. Find the best one that has been load tested that doesn't bind when it has a load. Example, at 2,000 lbs load we found a certain rod end that only has 90 inch lbs of resistance.

Confused?
12-09-2013, 06:13 PM
I build my left side bars from CrMo and use swedge tubes on the right. I also build my pull bar tubes. One is CrMo and the other is DOM. Either way, they are TIG welded.

hammond motorsports
12-10-2013, 09:13 AM
I build trailing arms 2 ways . 1- for the 5/8 rod end I use a 7/8 DOM tube and tap it for the 5/8 .Them machine wrench flats on the tube so you can tighten it and hold the tube with a 13/16 . 2- tube I build but cost more to do is a 1 1/8 Chrome Moly and then tig weld a bung in the end of the tube . It does remove a lot of weight .The only place I run a swedge tube is on the lf tie rod only .