PDA

View Full Version : Axle tubes

swede
12-11-2013, 07:52 PM
I bought a winters quick change so I can switch from the 9" for next season. The quickchange came out of an asphalt late model so the tubes and axles are too wide. I am going to buy new axle tubes but I am hoping to use the axles and hubs off the 9".

How do I determine the length of tubes to get so my axles will work? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

powerslide
12-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Axles out of the 9in wont work unless you are changing the offset of the rearend. Call winters on the lengths tell them what you have and what you are trying to do.

JustAddDirt
12-12-2013, 03:13 PM
If I am remembering correctly for a 60" centered QC rear end, the axle's are 31-32" long. then you have to put the spacer bolt in the end of the axle to get the spline engagement in the hub just right.
you will have a 2-4" shorter left side tube than right in the QC if you use those parts from 9".

Spend the extra 175-200 bucks get the right axles for the width you desire. narrow the tubes that are in the QC and put them back in.
for a 60" centered I am thinking the bare axle tube length is 25-or 26" for both sides

jsf74
12-13-2013, 09:17 PM
i almost did the same thing until i started adding up what it would have cost to convert everything to what i needed. dont know if its a option or not but i would sell what u have complete and buy a nice used unit with all the right parts already. real easy to find a good qc ready to go with bird cages for $1000. just my 2 cents. good luck.

hammond motorsports
12-16-2013, 08:54 AM
something to check out is with the pavement quick change does it have a locker?? And if you need tubes, I custom build them for a lot of places . I can help you get the length of tube you need but you will need new axles .My tubes will be checked to make all bearings, hub nuts, and birdcages fit before its shipped .

swede
12-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I had 28" and 31" axles in my 9" floater. I'm guessing my quickchange will be setup offset as well?? Also I will double check for the locker.

hammond motorsports
12-17-2013, 08:57 AM
spool placement is different from 9'' to quick change

navyman88
12-17-2013, 12:10 PM
I was going to do the same thing in my 05 Pierce Mod. I was going to use a used quickchange and change the tubes and axles around. Then once I priced what it would cost for new tubes and axles, it was only slightly more to get a brand new rear end complete from hub to hub...

But if you want to do that then call you chassis manufacture and they will give you the tube and axle lengths that you will need.