PDA

View Full Version : Pinto spindle purpose??

craftsman32
12-12-2013, 10:45 AM
What's the purpose of pinto spindles on a metric chassis? Width? Strength? Height?Thanks!

ToddSmith16
12-12-2013, 11:48 AM
there's more interchanging going on than just that!

a1driver
12-12-2013, 08:06 PM
more negatives than positives in my opinion

koltveitracing67
12-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Someone can correct me if im wrong, but i think the pinto spindles are about an inch shorter than metric. If thats true than you have a lower roll center height. Thats if all you change is the spindle.

Racer96m
12-19-2013, 08:24 AM
A Street Stock is heavier than a Mod and doesnt have the set back engine, so in general most are using the metric spindles, taller ball joints and or the bigger camaro/ impala spindles and getting things up to control the weight. Its just me but I would leave the pinto spindles to the Mods, they wont last long with the beating and banging of the Street Stocks anyway, but thats just my .02

Dave

JustAddDirt
04-10-2014, 03:20 PM
metric spindles and the later model year Pinto and Mustang II spindles are within 1/8" on height.

If you get an original Ford spindle they are a forged, which makes them much, much, stronger than the cast metric.
Pinto has bigger bearings, and larger snout for the bearings.

metric has a spindle inclination of roughly 8º
pinto/ mustang II inclination is roughly 10º

metric steering arm is longer, which equates to more leverage, slower steering.
pinto shorter stronger arm, faster steering

you will loose ackerman a bit with the pinto, unless you mover some steering parts around, or are using first generation nova a-arms on metric chassis.

hope this helps

LOGANSTANFORTH
04-18-2014, 03:55 AM
I run GM #2 spindles on my metric. They come from round body Caprice/Impala's and have a 2 cast on them. To keep the metric bolt pattern you need to run the earlier rotor and brakes though. They also widen the car 2 inches per side. My front WMS to WMS is 62 now instead of the 58 +/- inches of a stock metric.

JustAddDirt
05-16-2014, 10:32 AM
do the GM#2's use a the same caliper as the metric or are they different,
also what is the standard bolt pattern of the roter 5x5?