PDA

View Full Version : Pullbar mounting question

DMR29
12-13-2013, 07:34 AM
What are your thoughts on mounting the front of the pullbar on the chassis? Do you think the chassis knows the difference if you have the front mounted on the driveshaft loop or having a drop in bracket that mounts to the center bar from dash bar to rear hoop?

speedbuggy
12-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Pure physics says it does not matter where the bracket is mounted to the chassis. All that matters is where the pull bar is attached. In other words, you could have five different brackets mounted all over the car, but if the pull bar attachment point is the same for each one, it would not matter which one you used. The forces between the chassis and suspension remain the same.

This does not take flexing of the chassis or mounting bracket(s) into account, but common sense tells you that you should build the bracket with as little flex as possible.

This is the same deal as some people think you change front end geometry by putting the ball joint above or below the upper control arm. The only thing that matters is where that ball joint pivot point is. The UCA could be shaped like a pretzel and it would not matter as long as the ball joint stays in the same place.

RaceMentally
12-13-2013, 07:39 PM
What are your thoughts on mounting the front of the pullbar on the chassis? Do you think the chassis knows the difference if you have the front mounted on the driveshaft loop or having a drop in bracket that mounts to the center bar from dash bar to rear hoop?Please describe in more detail what you're trying to do. The comment above is not exactly what I would listen to. At least from how I read it.

CsR41
12-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Please describe in more detail what you're trying to do. The comment above is not exactly what I would listen to. At least from how I read it.

What's wrong with the reply?

The way I read it, his answer is correct.

DMR29
12-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Well I guess I will try again. I thought the first comment was what I was looking for,but the great part of a fourm is the many comments or ideas. What I am describing is that the pullbar has two mounting points 1 on rear end 2 on chassis.My question was my dad and I were debating the chassis mounting. We just wanted an ideal does the chassis know the difference on the front mounting point and I agree with speedbuggy that it does not matter as long as the pick up point is in the same place and is supported well. Some chassis have front mount on driveshaft loop and some have a bolt in drop bar for different lenghts pullbars.

twisterf5
12-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Well I guess I will try again. I thought the first comment was what I was looking for,but the great part of a fourm is the many comments or ideas. What I am describing is that the pullbar has two mounting points 1 on rear end 2 on chassis.My question was my dad and I were debating the chassis mounting. We just wanted an ideal does the chassis know the difference on the front mounting point and I agree with speedbuggy that it does not matter as long as the pick up point is in the same place and is supported well. Some chassis have front mount on driveshaft loop and some have a bolt in drop bar for different lenghts pullbars.
it is not about up or down as long as you can get the rake you need as much as it is about left to right. left side is heaver that is what i would try to shoot for. getting that to transfer to the rear wheels.

Lizardracing
12-15-2013, 01:20 PM
That's not entirely correct. The angle down toward the front of the car sets the anti-squat or the tendancie for the rear to rise or fall on acell/decell.

Think about about it this way. The pull bar is trying to push/pull the front wheels up or down with acell/decell forces. The IC between the tanget lines of the CG of upper link is based on the CG location in theoretical physics. The bracket doesn't mean much in real life practical terms. The lateral location provides a bias to traction loadings based on Anti-squat. The axle mounting behind/centered/forward/above the axle centerline affects the dynamic angle change in the Anti-squat with axle wrap.