PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbase measurment

Duckhnter83
12-14-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm hoping someone here has some knowledge on the older dirt works cars. I have a DW7 and was wanting to know where to measure from to get the wheelbase? I have read conflicting answers. Do I measure from the lower grease zerk on the A arms to centerline of rear axle?

washeduptoo
12-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Have you tried to call Hoffman, he should be able to help you.

bob75
12-14-2013, 08:31 PM
to feel safe i would measure from the mid plate

Duckhnter83
12-14-2013, 10:54 PM
I plan to give Hoffman a call Monday. Just was seeing if anyone here had any advice. If I measured from the mid plate how would I know if my wheelbase would be 108" or not?

johnny v
12-15-2013, 06:39 AM
its hard to measure from the ball joints because most chassis's have the front snout welded on at an angle....l drop plumb bobs from the car in 6 spots and use a string / nails on a long 2x4 under the motor plate to check our Harris after a hit.... hang 2 down from the motor plate to the string, 2 over the rear end housing, and 2 down from the lower a arms....The Harris comes from them with the front clip turned 3/8" so taking that into account, will tell you what is happening on the front.... the most important one to me is the measurement from the string ( which is the mid plate) to the rear end... this tells me the truth about lead / trail on the rear end....... (static)
Then I can go back and measure the 4 bar lengths and know what is happening when I adjusts lengths at the track....

el paso mod 19
12-15-2013, 09:22 AM
SCD, after reading all this, I've come to the conclusion that he is wanting to know where to measure for rear steer, I think.

Duckhnter83
12-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes I'm trying to measure for rear steer and also to know if my rear end is square in the car also to meets the min/ max for Imca sport mod rules of 108min or 112 max. Also what would be the advantages of having a 112" wheelbase car as to 108"?

mudeater18
12-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Yes I'm trying to measure for rear steer and also to know if my rear end is square in the car also to meets the min/ max for Imca sport mod rules of 108min or 112 max. Also what would be the advantages of having a 112" wheelbase car as to 108"?

With the 72" rule from back of block (motor plate) to centerline of rear axle, the longer wheelbase will have a higher rear weight percentage.

jsf74
12-15-2013, 10:54 PM
I measure all three static at the beginning of the season. Like stock car driver said hub to hub will get u what you need to be legal. For my weekly setup on last years car I used lower grease zerks to rear hubs. My stub was not turned though.

speedbuggy
12-16-2013, 09:24 AM

IMO, you should run the shortest wheelbase you can. Car will turn quicker because all weight in the car is closer to the car's center of gravity and more weight transfer back-to-front, front-to-back.

Longer wheelbase might be easier to drive but won't be as fast as shorter wheelbase. Think of a Top Fuel dragster...the reason it's so long is because they don't WANT it to turn.

RaceMentally
12-16-2013, 12:00 PM
IMO, you should run the shortest wheelbase you can. Car will turn quicker because all weight in the car is closer to the car's center of gravity and more weight transfer back-to-front, front-to-back. Longer wheelbase might be easier to drive but won't be as fast as shorter wheelbase. Think of a Top Fuel dragster...the reason it's so long is because they don't WANT it to turn.Actually that's not why they're so long... Ex: funny car.