PDA

View Full Version : 12" or 14" RF Spring On Rocket??

DirtLlm13
12-15-2013, 02:13 PM
I've always used 10" springs on both fronts..but I noticed Rocket calls for a 12" spring on the RF in the setup book. Is there any major difference, like binding, or should I be on the 12" RF?

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Gonna depend on spring design, rate, intended travel, etc. You should almost always be good with a 12. Coil binding shouldn't come into play.

7uptruckracer
12-15-2013, 06:12 PM
14" just gives you more before coil bind. Might be necessary on some really soft springs. I have pods in my floor that allow me to pull the car down you do something similar with straps if you rig it right and pull it down to your shock bumper and see if you bind

4racer
12-15-2013, 06:46 PM
My rocket book shows to run a 12" on the RF........

hucktyson
12-15-2013, 07:31 PM
The rate starts changing well before coil bind ...

DirtLlm13
12-15-2013, 10:37 PM
My rocket book shows to run a 12" on the RF........

correct, my mistake, we've been using Hypercoil 10" springs, but book calls for 12" spring on RF.

I guess problem we need to keep an eye on is coil bind, I'm generally not too soft, around 400 and 425.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-16-2013, 07:53 AM
The rate starts changing well before coil bind ...

Which may or may not be a good thing. A typical 12" spring can go 7 to 8 inches. Should be pretty linear to 5 or 6. Of course you may be using 2" or more at ride height.

7uptruckracer
12-16-2013, 08:32 AM
I think its the first inch and last inch or so the rate starts to change from advertised.

lovinlatemodels
12-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Was always told never use anything less then 12" on spring rates under 350 lb but then a lot of people use 12" on the RR and getting down to a 200 lb spring so my take would be what travel your expecting out of the spring before it binds. Most people are looking for 4" to 6" travel on the RF where the RR is getting about 2" to 4". JMO.

clbaker25x
12-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't understand the fear of coil bind. Isn't it just like having a progressive spring in the car? As coils go dead the spring gains rate right? It seems like that would be an advantage on the RF with current setups.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-17-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't understand the fear of coil bind. Isn't it just like having a progressive spring in the car? As coils go dead the spring gains rate right? It seems like that would be an advantage on the RF with current setups.

Once coil bound, you have no suspension. Springs don't like it either. But for a time, it could be okay.

fastford
12-17-2013, 06:54 PM
coil bind is what a lot of people were doing on the right front before dual stage and bump stops, on a smooth slick track it was fast, but it was dangerous also.

clbaker25x
12-18-2013, 12:23 PM
When you coil bind a spring all coils do not become inactive at once. I would disagree with your thought that it makes the suspension solid. Take a spring and compress it in a spring rater or other device until it coil binds, and you will see what I am talking about. At the most 2 coils could become inactive at once, which would just give the spring a really stiff rate. I don't understand what the danger is of coil binding?

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-18-2013, 04:22 PM
When you coil bind a spring all coils do not become inactive at once. I would disagree with your thought that it makes the suspension solid. Take a spring and compress it in a spring rater or other device until it coil binds, and you will see what I am talking about. At the most 2 coils could become inactive at once, which would just give the spring a really stiff rate. I don't understand what the danger is of coil binding?

No one said they go inactive all at once, but you may make them all go inactive. People were running springs that had a set compression to coil bind, like say 4". You run a 250# spring that will coil bind at 4", you are going to bind every coil on that spring at mid corner. It depends on the spring design. Repeated trips to coil bind will fatigue and kill most suspension springs. The act of them touching will damage the surface of the coil and make stress risers.

DRTRCR22
12-18-2013, 04:30 PM
My understanding of it is that once the coil bind locks down the suspension, all further suspension action is placed into the tire, which is not necessarily a good thing... the tire is supposed to be part of the suspension formula, not intended to be ALL of it after coil bind...???

clbaker25x
12-18-2013, 04:38 PM
With the new 13" spring rule in Sportmods this year we continued to run our same 125 pound left rear spring rate we had previously run. The 13" spring was compressed to about 7" at ride height. We were getting about 10 nights out of a left rear spring before we would change them. That was the point that they seemed to loose a little bit of their return.