PDA

View Full Version : Mastersbilt smack 1.25 to .810 brake conversion

tin man
12-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Have a 2010 Mastersbilt smack currently running 1.25 brake rotors and calipers. Not S/7 spindlles Converting over to .810 rotor and caliper. We have winters hubs. Wilwood .810 rotors and .810 calipers. Running into an alignment problem between the caliper and rotor. Other than A- replacing our current spindles with .810 spindles or B-cuttng the caliper mount and rewelding it are there any other options available to correct the alignment? Thanks.

TALON75
12-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Option A is your best bet, I don't think there is any good way around it . Did you try mounting/spacing caliper from the hub side of your current bracket?

TWISTER
12-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Not sure of your alignment problem, going to assume that one pad is close to the rotor and the other isn't? Never heard of having to change calipers when changing rotor sizes. I run the brake man brake system and they have spacers that go between the outside brake pad and the caliper to take up the extra space if you choose to run different thickness rotors. I have run the 3/8",.810" and 1.250" rotors all with the same caliper and spindle. If that is your alignment problen see if wilwood offers spacers to take up that slack. If your caliper is hitting the rotor then yes, a small amount of spacing may need to occur, but I wouldnt go more than 1/8".
JMO, hope it helps. Good luck.

Matt49
12-18-2013, 05:26 AM
There are different calipers for different rotor thicknesses. With Wilwoods you can change the spacer between the two sides of the block. But the idea that you can just change rotor thicknesses without changing anything on the calipers is not correct. Not to do it right, anyway.

tin man
12-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the replies. Latest news from Masters, TWM and Winters is that either you get an .810 spindle to run the .810 rotor and caliper or you get out the cut off wheel and fire up the welder and relocate the bracket. You can take an .810 spindle and shim it to run 1.25 but it doesnt work the other way around. Thanks again.

scabfab
12-29-2013, 06:47 PM
You do have another option....use the .810 rotor,the 1.25 calipers with a .440 spacer between the inside pad and inside pistons. Argo Manufacturing makes this particular brake pad spacer.