PDA

View Full Version : Air filters tops and bases and filters

hsracer
12-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Whats the best air filter for the 604 and what height should it be. Also what is the best air filter top and base to use. Thanks.

brad hibbard
12-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Great question and interesting topic!

here is where we are with this as of today---
and I say it that way because this is one area where we never stop looking and testing for something a little bit better, so tomorrow may bring a different answer.

R2C makes several different aircleaner bases----choosing the correct one for your carburetor design and racing application will net you the most benefit from the base
any of the R2C bases will out perform anything we have tested---the only downside in my opinion is that they have not yet incorperated a permanent seal between the base and carb so you have to use a gasket

air filter elements are just as important as fuel----
any element that you apply oil to for filtering will have several factors towards the fuel curve
we recommend a media type filter such as the R2C for consistancy in air flow
there are many more positives to this type of filter but i am trying not to sound like a commercial for R2C LOL
air filter size is typically 14X4 or 14X5 and truthfully thats an area we have not done much testing

air cleaner lid should never be part of the intake system or filter in any way----this type of lid will show power of a stationary unit but when put into motion can create a negative pressure inside the filter assembly------i have not seen to many race cars race without moving
a bubble type lid is what we use and has tested better than a flat lid

be sure to incorperate some sort of cold air box/ heat deflector system
keeping the heat created by headers, engine and radiator from the intake filter system is very important to power output

let the discussion begin

Brad
www.race-1.com

7uptruckracer
12-30-2013, 10:18 AM
The biggest thing I see weekly and most of it is just by oversight is people not running their Air Filters out of the hood or away from their engine heat they have 1/3 or 1/2 or more under the hood. You want to suck the coolest air possible so make sure you stay within your rules of course with spacers and if you can get it away from your engine heat and shroud it with a deflector, scoop or what have you if possible.