PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbase, Turned Stub, and Front Trail

7uptruckracer
12-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Assuming our rear end has no static trail. I know you get some wheelbase differences with caster and what not. How are they building the cars these days. I've heard straight up that pulling a wheel forward or back was tried but ruled not good for exit. Are they straight with the correct caster recommendation or will their still be LF or RF "trail" is this what they would consider a "turned stub? If they stagger the mounts. It seems to be a rarely talked about deal or trade secret what does this physically do at the wheels. It seems to be more in asphalt but wheel loadings and characteristics can be transferred anywhere so just curious, Thoughts. I've seen only one article on it.

Ghopper
12-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Moving the RF wheel forward primarily changes steering geometry when working in the range of +/- few inches.....assuming you do not move anything else. You will get a different steering ratio for the RF wheel because of the gain change between rack stroke and wheel angle as the kinematic linkage points have changed.

Is it better or worse? Meh. If you know how much toe/steer angle you want in the corner related to straightline driving then you can make this decision. This maybe easier to feel or diagnose on asphalt from driver feedback or tire wear, however it is a function of the tire construction and friction (resulting tire compliance) so asphalt results do not necessarily apply directly to dirt applications.

I think this is why these things are not widely discussed. The answer is not easy.

Ghopper

7uptruckracer
12-31-2013, 10:40 AM
I saw where I believe it was francais or moran maybe they pulled the while RF forward he said he didn't account for Ackerman change but reset any other things that changed it said it helped the DLM turn in but really at the expense of exit. It was a wheelbase change using the RF I just didn't know the theory behind it

Ltemodel
01-02-2014, 06:14 PM
When you pull the RF ahead, on a late model, ackerman probably plays the biggest role. Too much ackerman in counter steer can put the car into a stall and scrub speed off the corner.

I'm not a driver, but I've heard it almost feels like a bind.