PDA

View Full Version : 2 Link rearend spring and shock mounting location.

38racing
12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
We run a 9" rear with coilover shocks mounted behind the axles. Most cars I see in our area run the shocks mounted behind the axles, and springs in front of axle on sliders. Birdcages mus be clamped or welded. I was wondering what the advantage of this would be. Considering changing mine, but not sure what I will gain. Springs must be a same side, shocks must be on same side (I.e. can't have one spring in front of axle and the other behind). Thank you

Lizardracing
12-30-2013, 11:15 PM
When a spring or biscuit is used on the top the axle will rotate backwards to the rear of the car when accelerating as the top link expands. Lots of people call that axle wrap. When the springs are mounted on cages in front the axle they tend to compress as the axle wraps giving more traction. When mounted behind the axle, the springs tend to decompress and reduces traction. Now remember that only a certain amount of traction is available divided between the four tires so if more traction is given to the rear than the front has less and the car gets tighter. If the springs are mounted behind the axle under acceleration the rear tires tend to reduce traction and the front gets more. What's better for your car depends entirely on over all design and whether the car needs more or less traction in the front or the back to maintain even traction on all four tires. If a solid top link is used axle wrap doesn't occur and the choices of behind or in front become much less critical as axle wrap isn't adding or reducing traction. Typically springs are mounted behind with a solid top link due to ease of installation a slight advantage of effectiveness as the axle follows the arc of the suspension points. The shorter the links are more dramatic the affect.

38racing
12-31-2013, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes we do run a solid pullbar.

DANNY
12-31-2013, 07:50 AM
When a spring or biscuit is used on the top the axle will rotate backwards to the rear of the car when accelerating as the top link expands. Lots of people call that axle wrap. When the springs are mounted on cages in front the axle they tend to compress as the axle wraps giving more traction. When mounted behind the axle, the springs tend to decompress and reduces traction. Now remember that only a certain amount of traction is available divided between the four tires so if more traction is given to the rear than the front has less and the car gets tighter. If the springs are mounted behind the axle under acceleration the rear tires tend to reduce traction and the front gets more. What's better for your car depends entirely on over all design and whether the car needs more or less traction in the front or the back to maintain even traction on all four tires. If a solid top link is used axle wrap doesn't occur and the choices of behind or in front become much less critical as axle wrap isn't adding or reducing traction. Typically springs are mounted behind with a solid top link due to ease of installation a slight advantage of effectiveness as the axle follows the arc of the suspension points. The shorter the links are more dramatic the affect.

One of the best descriptions of what a 3 link is/does I have seen in a while!!!