PDA

View Full Version : 5th coil

wisdirtfan
12-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Is there anyone out there that is running a bump stop and soft spring on the 5th coil? This is something I overheard a few days ago and wasn't sure if it was true or not.

wisdirtfan
12-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Nobody has anything to say? Either I'm on to something or out of my gourd lol

37mod
01-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Some of the pull bars used in modifieds use that set up but I don't know of anyone doing it on a torque arm.

7uptruckracer
01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Who uses a bumpstop on a modified pull bar? Lots run bushing style I haven't seen a Mod on bumpstop....The problem with the bump on the fifth arm is the track conditions change and you normally need a special shock package that will get the car from fluttering on a bumpstop...They can be fairly progressive most just try the newer versions of the progressive springs. Most guys keep it simple in that area shoot for 3-4" travel on whatever spring will get them that.

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Who uses a bumpstop on a modified pull bar? Lots run bushing style I haven't seen a Mod on bumpstop....The problem with the bump on the fifth arm is the track conditions change and you normally need a special shock package that will get the car from fluttering on a bumpstop...They can be fairly progressive most just try the newer versions of the progressive springs. Most guys keep it simple in that area shoot for 3-4" travel on whatever spring will get them that.

A bushing and a bumpstop are essentially the same thing. I think that is what he is getting at. Really they are just progressive springs when you get down to it. Try it. You may find something that works for you.

7uptruckracer
01-02-2014, 02:01 PM
See I was thinking something on one of the arms that would add further rate when it engages. If you do it on a lift arm spend a good amount of time looking through the different kinds of bumpstops you have, puck style, RSW (Roller Skate Wheel) and Cone Style, all have different characteristics. Most will give you their load curves as well. I use RE Suspension for all mine and they give you curves. You might also want to look up "bump springs" They are getting more popular in some applications because they seem to engage a little softer IMO. Invest in an external travel indicator for it if you do so you know how much its engaging into the Bumpstop