PDA

View Full Version : Stock shocks?

racerj5
01-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I just finished my first 3 races in my 200? GRT copy sportsman late model. The shocks on the car are AFCO and I had them built by Shorty in Knoxville tn. We can only run non adjustable shocks in our class and I've been doing ALOT of research on new stuff and I had a couple of questions.1. What is done to built shocks that make them react differently than a stock shock?2. If the rebound, compression and dampening on a stock shock are same as what I had built, would I have been better off buying new?I guess what I'm asking is, if I can buy new shocks cheaper than I can have them built and they will work the same, why do I need to have them built?Also, if I'm running a stock shock, what brands would you recommend? I've heard AFCOs are really inconsistent, even after being worked. Thanks for any advice or info. Oh, and I'm running Tazewell.

zeroracing
01-03-2014, 11:33 PM
If they are building the same shim stack then no difference than an off the shelf shock, most though build different or custom stacks or drill bleed holes... Things you don't get off the shelf. This is the major difference. That said factory made may be more inconsistent but a shock guy will take more time per shock and will dyno that shock to verify, factory may just assume it's right.

adamsraceshocks
01-04-2014, 08:54 AM
I just finished my first 3 races in my 200? GRT copy sportsman late model. The shocks on the car are AFCO and I had them built by Shorty in Knoxville tn. We can only in non adjustable shocks in our class and I've been doing ALOT of research on new stuff and I had a couple of questions.1. What is done to built shocks that make them react differently than a stock shock?2. If the rebound, compression and dampening on a stock shock are same as what I had built, would I have been better off buying new?I guess what I'm asking is, if I can buy new shocks cheaper than I can have them built and they will work the same, why do I need to have them built?Also, if I'm running a stock shock, what brands would you recommend? I've heard AFCOs are really inconsistent, even after being worked. Thanks for any advice or info. Oh, and I'm running Tazewell.

A good shock guy should be able to help get you the right shock for given conditions and setups. that is invaluable info you might not be able to get from the factory.

m_stagev
01-04-2014, 09:06 AM
I would stick with shorty. I have had nothing but good results with his work.

7uptruckracer
01-04-2014, 01:05 PM
WAR Socks is also in your area Willie Allen

lindsey97
01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Keith at War can do you a good job, if you have the newer stlye Afco's he can do almost as much with them as the higher end shocks.