PDA

View Full Version : Walter Newman Clip Car Setup

Lt.Stryker
01-06-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm new to 4m net, but not new to racing. I've raced Hobby Stocks, Street Stocks, Sportsman, IMCA Modifieds, and now Late Models. I've got an older Walter Newman Buschwacker clip late model; it's got a Chevelle front clip with stock lower control arms. The series number on the car indicates that it is a 2000 model. Does anyone have or know how to get a hold of the original Walter Newman setup sheets? If the original setup sheets are not available, then what baseline setup is going to get me in the ball park? Thank you for taking the time to answer.

7uptruckracer
01-08-2014, 03:20 PM
If you give more info like rear setup, 4 link, mono leaf, etc maybe someone can help. You should be able to run something similar to the Chevelle clip Modified front end setup or in that ball park 500-600 range and the rears will depend on what kind of setup

Lt.Stryker
01-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Thank you, 7 up... I appreciate the response. I'm going to race primarily at a 1/2 mile track with 14 degrees of banking in the corners and 4 degrees of banking down the straightaways. The Late Models run second in the line up and the track is heavy and tacky when we go out for hot laps/ qualifying. But, by the time we run our features the track has transitioned to a much drier surface. The rear suspension is an overslung 4 bar with a winters Q/C with a 486 ring and pinion. The car has big body 9" AFCO coil overs and dummy shocks in the rear. It's also got a Shaw-style, progressive coil spring pull bar with a 1250 lbs spring. There isn't a fifth coil or sixth coil on the car. The front suspension has Chevelle lower control arms and aftermarket tubular upper control arms. It's got {black} Rocket spindles between the A-arms, 5" coil springs, and 7" small body AFCO steel, non adjustable shocks. I just finished dropping a GM 602 crate in the car and the series rules give me a significant weight break for running the smaller crate. I also get an added weight break for running a Han's device. When all is said and done the car only has to weigh 2,125 lbs when I go across the scales at the end of the race(s). So, I'm not planning on hanging a lot of lead off the frame; I'll make the lead decision after I put the car on the scales and then only to make sure my percentages are right. I'm most interested in spring weight recommendations for each corner and recommendations for shock rebound on each corner given this setup. Thanks again.

7uptruckracer
01-10-2014, 09:41 AM
I'd start with something pretty standard on springs like 650s across the front maybe 600s given your low weight. 4-6 LF and 4-8 rf which the rf might be debatable. - 175LR and 225 RR shouldn't be terrible the low HP might need that's 175 to help it get up your going to run something closer to a slick track shock setup because of your low horsepower traditionally. Low bite like 50lbs. You have to keep the car free. Hope this maybe can help.

Lt.Stryker
01-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks again 7 up. I'm going to try the setup and see if I'm in the ball park. Can't wait until April.

hotshoe323
03-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks again 7 up. I'm going to try the setup and see if I'm in the ball park. Can't wait until April.

where you planning on running at. dont think you can get much lower than 2400

bowtech
03-18-2014, 10:48 PM
From what your saying be prepared to drive a very tight race car during hot laps but the car should come to u with small adjustments like stagger or right front spring .I run the 602 as well I use hot laps as just a way to shake the car down I hardly ever make adjustments till after the heat race with the lower hp its easier to me to let the track come to the car than chasing my setup all night.the walter newmans running in my area win a ton of races good luck with it

Just Diggin'
03-30-2014, 10:47 PM
Contact Walter @ 706-798-1294