PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer

lilsumo
01-13-2014, 08:10 AM
I am in the market for an enclosed trailer and was wondering what was the optimal size.

I know, buy as big as you can afford, but I'd like some ideas.

What be the minimum length for a good trailer?

HEAVY DUTY
01-13-2014, 08:21 AM
26 ft minimum. 28 is better. Make sure to get the heavy axles. Ramp overs save a lot of room by being able to store stuff under the ramps, and carry the weight over the axles rather than on the tongue. If you have ramp overs with a standard height trailer, you have to have the tire rack in the front of the car, because there isn't enough room over the car. Put the generator on the tongue.

stockcar5
01-13-2014, 12:10 PM
I agree 28ft min and if your looking at gooseneck 36ft. Also if its in your budget look for an all aluminum trailer built by a reputable company.

hammond motorsports
01-13-2014, 01:14 PM
I have a 38' triple axle gooseneck works good. I did put ram overs in it. And if you plan on just running mods you could look for a older one that is narrower trailer to help on the fuel to pull . Only down side you will not put a late model in it but I get 21 mpg with my 2004 Dodge Diesel .The triple axle will give you a better ride .

HEAVY DUTY
01-14-2014, 08:37 AM
I have a 38' triple axle gooseneck works good. I did put ram overs in it. And if you plan on just running mods you could look for a older one that is narrower trailer to help on the fuel to pull . Only down side you will not put a late model in it but I get 21 mpg with my 2004 Dodge Diesel .The triple axle will give you a better ride .What do you have done to your truck Dave. Mine gets 21, but that is without the trailer. 11.5 with.

hammond motorsports
01-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Has the HO engine ,air intake ,373 rear 2wd 6sp and removed the muffler. 2 big things was the narrow trailer , and the air gate to help get the air out of the box .My trailer is not wider then the truck and has a wedge in the front over the gooseneck. Don maybe also I get better because of you are in the hills and its flat up here?? At 70 engine only turns 1900-2100 rpm .

qrteracer
01-14-2014, 01:17 PM
He removed the fenders....less drag !! LOL

HEAVY DUTY
01-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Has the HO engine ,air intake ,373 rear 2wd 6sp and removed the muffler. 2 big things was the narrow trailer , and the air gate to help get the air out of the box .My trailer is not wider then the truck and has a wedge in the front over the gooseneck. Don maybe also I get better because of you are in the hills and its flat up here?? At 70 engine only turns 1900-2100 rpm .OK. I understand. Mine picks up 1 1/2 mpg when I get on flat ground.

lilsumo
01-14-2014, 05:53 PM
What does your trailer weigh? I got everything in the world done to mine and with a 16k flat bed full of steel it only gets 12.

My decked out 7.3 gets 10 and the new 6.4 gets 10 no matter what I do with it.

JHobbs26
01-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Ive got a 28' featherlite with ramp overs. If I ever own another trailer it'll have rampovers in it too. Extra storage underneath, and they make good a good bench to sit on. My winch is under the right ramp, attaches to a pulley then out to the rear bumper of the car. Gray air jack goes in front of the car, then the 4 wheeler. On the left side in front of the ramps is a locker for my firesuit and helmets, then a fuel jug rack that holds 12 5 gal jugs, then a shock rack and spring rack. On the right side my tires hang on the wall flat, I can carry 7 or 8 (cant remember) hanging on the wall, then directly in front of the ramp I stack another 4 or 5 RR beadlocks on the floor, then my tool box, then the side door.

I carry another 4 or 5 tires that I pu underneath the car. That's another benefit of the ramps being able to stuff things underneath while in transport.

hammond motorsports
01-15-2014, 08:43 AM
have not had it on the scales .