PDA

View Full Version : Ford Starter question

sirleafalot
01-16-2014, 11:25 AM
We are attempting use a stock style Ford bellhousing with a falcon trans and and 157T flywheel. The mounting on the bell for the starter is the same as a stock Ford. the issue is the Ford makes a few different starters, anyone have experience with this and have a reccomendation on which starter to use ? I have read that Ford makes one for manual trans and one for auto...thanks

dereksehi
01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
If you are using a flexplate for the auto I would use the auto starter and if it needs to be shimmed napa sells starter shims to shim the starter front to rear. napa number is 655-1188

racinjj
01-16-2014, 01:41 PM
I used a Quarter Master Ford starter with a Quarter Master bellhousing and had 1/4" shim laser cut, I was also using a Falcon tranny and Quarter Master flex plate. Everything worked fine, I dont believe they make any other style besides that one starter.

MM90
01-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I have a Brinn trans mated to a Quick Time universal bellhousing "GM or Ford block bolt pattern" I use a starter for a Auto trans since we run a flex plate and not a flywheel. I also have to run a shim between the starter and bellhousing, it's the same thickness as a midplate that you would run on a "stock" car. Not sure on the brand of starter, I think I got it from Speedway.