PDA

View Full Version : Rack Opinion?

late96
01-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Anybody run the Sweet 4.5 with a 210 servo? Opinions?

Matt49
01-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Are you looking for feedback on Sweet in general or specifically to the 4.5?
We run a 4.0 Sweet (220 server) and I like it. Customer service is also really good if you need one rebuilt. Quick turnaround.
Can't say I have experience with the 4.5 but I would also be curious how much difference folks notice when going from the 4.0 to the 4.5.
I rarely find myself in a position where I wish I didn't have to turn the wheel as much but it does happen from time to time. I would think that on a big fast race track, the 4.5 would get a little hairy at full speed.

grt74
01-24-2014, 04:06 PM
we have two racks,1 for bull rings and 1 for long sweeping corners(this one is so we dont have too much steering input,too much input will cause the car to be a little on the darty side)
also a 210 servo is really soft,softest we use is a 220

Ltemodel
01-25-2014, 10:33 AM
We started using a Sweet 4.5 wit 210 last year with really good feedback. The best thing you an do for your car is to get center pivot clevis ends when you are ordering.

This will help take the bind out of your front end. If you are converting from an old style rack where the ends are mounted on top of the rack shaft, you will have to move the entire rack up in the car. Sometimes radiator clearance will become an issue. Some people just move the tie rods in the slotted ends, but the best case scenario is to keep the tie rods pushing on the center of the rack shaft.

There is so much load on your front end, any time the tie rods are offset to the rack shaft it will put the rack into a bind. I don't think you will ever eliminate this until we start building cars with the rack angled in the car so when the car is in a dynamic state the tie rods push straight through the center of the rack shaft.

I had a friend who changed from a conventional style rack to one with clevis ends and it freed it up so much he said he could no longer feel the front end. We ended up stiffening up his torsion bar 2 sizes until he got the feel back he wanted.

I can't speak for Sweet, but most of these places are more than willing to work with you to get you the products you want.

jason29a
01-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Anybody run the Sweet 4.5 with a 210 servo? Opinions?

I switched to 4.5 last year with a 220 servo. I like it a lot better.

late96
02-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Any other opinions, also looking at 4.25