PDA

View Full Version : stacked Spring

tworrick
01-25-2014, 09:43 PM
I know allot people have ran them . Some guys say they do not work for some track application. Is the stack spring something a weekend racer should me messing with? Please some pros and cons. Run a mastersbiult and they are big on using them .

mab475
01-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Are you talking about the dual stage RF or just a standard stack on the LR

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2014, 07:08 AM
As I have had reinforced from talking to different people, you can make it work for ANY situation. Some people say it doesn't work on tacky. Some say it doesn't work on slick. Those two camps aren't using the same shock.

10 years ago I could make a car leave the corner like a top fuel dragster using them. Too bad corner handling wasn't so good.

Should you use it? Really depends on how sharp you are and/or how much testing you are willing to do. You have a couple springs and a stop nut to allow you a lot of adjustability.

tworrick
01-26-2014, 07:15 AM
yes dual stage right front. He did show me why the shock is very important. Even a good shock like Ohlins isnt a good fit for the spring set up on right front . With the wrong shock car will blow the tires on exit. Have been told people do the wrong thing on adjusting stop nut. Some widen on tacky. been told that is wrong. Should shorten the gap to lessen the roll on the secondary spring . any thought on that ?

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2014, 07:21 AM
yes dual stage right front. He did show me why the shock is very important. Even a good shock like Ohlins isnt a good fit for the spring set up on right front . With the wrong shock car will blow the tires on exit. Have been told people do the wrong thing on adjusting stop nut. Some widen on tacky. been told that is wrong. Should shorten the gap to lessen the roll on the secondary spring . any thought on that ?

All that advise is correct in some situations and wrong in others. What happens when YOUR car gets on a tacky track with a particular setup? Tight entry or exit? That determines what you do with the gap or spring rates if you choose to adjust that corner of the car.

Now the shock. One could make you knock the wall down on exit on tacky. One could cause you to have little drive on exit on a slick track.

Keith's deal will help you loosen a tight car or a crate car just like he described to you. I think he won't be able to duplicate Blankenships use of it until he goes another route on shock. But that is just my opinion...

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2014, 07:30 AM
If you are picking up the second rate real early on entry, increasing the gap could make your entry handling too tight. If you are picking it up closer to corner apex, increasing gap will simply reduce the wedge on corner exit and loosen exit.

tworrick
01-26-2014, 08:20 AM
very good thank you very much . Those little things help allot to understand the adjustment needed. Is there a real need for spring rate changes? like maybe 450 instead of 500? crate not as much speed as open? just wondering?

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-26-2014, 08:42 AM
A super car can be tight because you can power through it. A tight crate bogs down like a semi pulling a hill.

Just like when you run one spring, the same combined rate won't be perfect for every track.

hpmaster
01-26-2014, 09:16 AM
We worked with stacks on the RF and LR for 3 seasons. Best results were on very slick tracks but were too picky on gap. Last 2 years we have had better performance on a soft long LR in all conditions and using different bumps, springs and shock settings on the RF and driving what can be best called a very tight race car. Open motor LM.

keeks
01-26-2014, 04:43 PM
As a relative rookie to DLM racing I am so fascinated by the many suspension discussions on here. But I must say, it's easy to see how things can be over thought when you are just beginning.

Brian Gray
01-28-2014, 08:29 PM
the key to using the staged rf spring setup is knowing when to engage the secondary spring. we sell a kit that allows you to quickly identify where and when the secondary spring engagement needs to happen.

message if your interested. without it your just guessing and in this business if your guessing your not going to be able to take advantage of any technology.