PDA

View Full Version : TNT Spindles

spray004
01-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Our RF spindle has cracked at the weld so I'm trying to find a new one. The spindle is 11.25" tall and the steering arm is 5". Does anyone know where I can find a spindle this size, besides calling TNT direct? Most spindles I've found are a lot shorter or don't have any measurements listed for them.

hucktyson
01-27-2014, 05:10 AM
You also need to know the king pin inclination and the amount of scrub in the spindle as well as the height relationship of the snout and steering arm to the lower ball joint

spray004
01-27-2014, 07:27 AM
You also need to know the king pin inclination and the amount of scrub in the spindle as well as the height relationship of the snout and steering arm to the lower ball joint

Center of the spindle & steering arm to the bottom of the control arm?

How do I measure inclination and scrub?

mab475
01-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Just call TNT and buy a new one.

spray004
01-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Just call TNT and buy a new one.

i probably will but it would be nice to know my options for the future. Don't you enjoy the option of being able to buy parts for your street vehicle besides the dealership?

hucktyson
01-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Spray I would agree except for the fact that everyone other than rocket charges between 165 and 195 for a spindle anyway. So buying aftermarket isn't saving you much. You could call PPM they probably know what it takes

spray004
01-27-2014, 11:24 AM
TNT is the only place to get that size spindle apparently. He did say that I could upgrade and go with a shorter spindle (9.5") which is the new design. Are there any advantages to using the shorter spindles vs the taller ones?

bb14
01-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Call Tony at TNT. They will set you straight and treat you right. You are asking for trouble if you do not use the correct spindle. Your car will not handle correctly. TNT cars are very good cars.

You need to check to see which car you have, since there are a couple of different cars. TNT has made a Black Front Rocket copy and a Mastersbilt copy. I believe they made some GRT copies but I am not sure. All are good cars that have won many races. We had the Mastersbilt car that won a lot of races. We did what they said and was really fast.

They also have their own car but that is a newer design. They are good cars that win a lot of limited and crate races. I believe they would win in supers if someone ran them that had the ability to win.

I understand doing it your way but unless you are really know what you are doing these cars will get you into a lot of trouble. That includes Rockets, Mastersbilts, Pierces, etc. Use the standard set up 90% of the time and learn the car.

Also, using the short spindles, which I believe are the new ones, on the tall spindle car will get you into trouble. Both have their advantages but you have to also have the right control arms, pick up points, rack, etc. I know a very good regional racer that won a lot of races in a TNT and they got off track and started having bad finishes. Tony drove down to see what was wrong and found out they had the wrong spindle on one side. He changed it and they won a big race that weekend and went on to continue winning.
Good luck.

Matt49
01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Call Tony at TNT. They will set you straight and treat you right. You are asking for trouble if you do not use the correct spindle. Your car will not handle correctly. TNT cars are very good cars.

You need to check to see which car you have, since there are a couple of different cars. TNT has made a Black Front Rocket copy and a Mastersbilt copy. I believe they made some GRT copies but I am not sure. All are good cars that have won many races. We had the Mastersbilt car that won a lot of races. We did what they said and was really fast.

They also have their own car but that is a newer design. They are good cars that win a lot of limited and crate races. I believe they would win in supers if someone ran them that had the ability to win.

I understand doing it your way but unless you are really know what you are doing these cars will get you into a lot of trouble. That includes Rockets, Mastersbilts, Pierces, etc. Use the standard set up 90% of the time and learn the car.

Also, using the short spindles, which I believe are the new ones, on the tall spindle car will get you into trouble. Both have their advantages but you have to also have the right control arms, pick up points, rack, etc. I know a very good regional racer that won a lot of races in a TNT and they got off track and started having bad finishes. Tony drove down to see what was wrong and found out they had the wrong spindle on one side. He changed it and they won a big race that weekend and went on to continue winning.
Good luck.

Spot-on advice!
There's a lot that goes into spindle design and configuration.
Height, vertical snout position, KPI, steering arm length, steering arm angle, scrub, etc. etc.
Don't mess around with something that isn't what the manufacturer uses unless you have a REALLY good understanding of all of the geometry and vehicle dynamics that are impacted by the spindle.

spray004
01-28-2014, 07:57 AM

Good luck.

Tony is the one who suggested using the shorter spindles as an upgrade. He said the UCA and LCA don't change, just adjust your bump steer and your good to go? I'm gonna go with the taller spindle for now. I trust what the guy is saying. I have more of the mindset that if I know how something is built, I can figure out how it works.

hpmaster
01-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Asking what a shorter or longer spindle will do to a car is very much dependant on all other variables involved in the assemby as a whole. After working with both pavement and dirt cars for quite a few years, since the 1980s, then in the last 7 or 8 years measuring, doing computer simulations on most designs and using driver feedback I have fround most front ends do a pretty good job. Most is the key word. There are somethings that can be improved on some of the current designs in my opinion. Some designs of spindles are very accomidating to different lengths and mounting points of control arms of different designs. As for length of spindles I would rather have them on the taller side than the shorter side. This is more from driver feedback on both pavement and dirt applications than what is seen in computer simulations. One thing I have heard drivers say about the shortest spindles on both dirt and pavement cars is they called them "spinout spindles". Do what the builder tells you to do is safer than changing one spindle everytime. JMHO

racer41
02-02-2014, 06:28 AM
tnt is a good car but going to a barry wright in 2014