PDA

View Full Version : Shock recommendations...???

DRTRCR22
01-29-2014, 01:19 AM
OK, I am probably going to open a can of worms here, but I am lost and need advice. I am stepping into a '09 Mars/MasterSbilt S7 Smack as my very first DLM experience after many years of modifieds. This is a VERY tight budget "Poor Boy" operation, so I cannot afford a $4000.00 set of canister shocks. I really not sure I can even afford the Afco double adjustables, and I am really leery about buying "used" shocks from an unknown source. The Mars setup book I received from the previous owner has absolutely no mention at all about what shocks and/or rates recommended for each corner. I have searched all over this forum, and others, but cannot find anything...? I even attended the big El Paso NDRL race this past weekend and asked several teams, but of course they ain't sayin... ;) so somebody please give me a clue where to start...? I will be primarily on a 1/4 mile semi banked "paper clip", long straights with short tight corners, stop and go. I have an all steel wet sump 406 motor and falcon trans. The dirt doesn't have very much clay in it... kind of a dusty sandy texture. I will start with the Mars recommended 500 l/f, 450 r/f, 250 l/r and 225 r/r. What compression and rebound ratios should I start with at each corner...? I know, this is a loaded question...? Can you get me in the ballpark...? Thanks, Jim

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-29-2014, 05:23 AM
I am not going to post my shock sheets, as most others wont either. I would contact a Bilstein dealer and get a set of the crate spec shocks if your budget is really tight. Jerry Link at SHY is one. I like working with him.

FF21
01-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Give B&O shocks a call 336-789-6365.Kenny can get you going in the right direction .Really reasonable prices.

DRTRCR22
01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Ok, I can start calling and inquiring from the builders and dealers, I was just hoping to avoid the "sales pitch" runaround for those $4000.00 packages. I understand about protecting your edge, but if anyone might consider sending me a private message for some hints I would really appreciate it, as I can probably only afford some off-the-shelf shocks for just starting out now. As a newbie rookie again I am no threat to anyone, but I understand about posting your setups online for the whole world to copycat... ;) thanks for the replies anyway... Jim ps. does anyone think the shock numbers setup from my Shaw mod might come close...?

FF21
01-29-2014, 01:05 PM
DRTRCR22 check your PM.Thanks

grt74
01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
i would run off the shelf bilstiens on the lf and rr 120-130 a piece + coil over kits,lr and rf if i could stand it would be double adjustable if possible,if not again bilstiens but youll have to have a couple of different ones for different conditions,so it still ends up with spending a little more for the lr and rf

DRTRCR22
01-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys, I am getting some good feedback here and on PM, and at least one good setup to start. I need to call some of the recommended builders for further specific advice I guess. Who would have thought this could be so scientifically difficult...? Grt74, I have a full setup of brand new Bilstiens from my Shaw A-mod, but they are the wrong rates... (I know Bilstiens are rated backwards, so I will state compression first rebound second) 3-5 on both right side, 5-3 on the left front, and 8-2 on the left rear...? The 8-2 might work on a one shock setup for l/r... but it sounds like I need a two shock setup there...? and the 5-3 on the l/f might be ok, but I will need both right sides. I already have small coil over kits for these mod shocks, for emergency backups. :o) jim

lcpestka
02-06-2014, 12:26 PM
use AFCO twin tube stuff, the new stuff is really good!, LF 5/3, RF 3/10-12, LR 12/3, and RR 4/6

you will have less than a $1000 invested and you will be fast out of the gate. These should only be used if you are running 25 laps or less.

jeredb
02-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Ms shock therapy. Mark smith 814-442-1194. He's in Pennsylvania I'm in Oregon best customer service. Good prices and might have some used stuff to get you goin.

blknblumod
02-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I have a set of 4 integra aluminum threaded body stealth series with coil over kits. 6 nights since brand new. Built by mars for the exact car you have. They work nice , I'm selling to try and upgrade to a set of IDA's. $900 for everything shipped . Over 1600 invested. Give me a call or text for pics or if interested 952-484-5757

dirtslinger4
02-12-2014, 08:26 PM
I agree with ff21, give Kenny a call at B&O. He is very informative and best all around shock guru I have worked with. Reasonable priced and best customer service you will find.

bmchone
02-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Ck pm. Set of twin tube afco shocks in excellent condition.