PDA

View Full Version : Spindle taper

twizted
02-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Ok I been helping a (no computer savy) buddy try to put this metric clip modified together. question is car currently has the k6141 lower ball joints and B body spindles and he is thinking about going to the k6117t tall ball joints.
Question 1 This being his first year in this car wouldchangint to taller ball joints make that much differnce? Or should he be more concerned learning to drive this thing?
Question 2 If we do swap to k6117t what degree reamer do we need?
Thanks for any input

Racer111
02-02-2014, 07:15 PM
we us k6117 on metric spindels we run a 5/8 drill bit threw it.If you ream they snap bj more often..

ask0329
02-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Try checking on speedway motors and look up their 10 and 7 degree reamers. It'll say what ball joints will work with those reamers on the far right hand side. Also check the Q and A section as there's more info there.

twizted
02-03-2014, 02:43 PM
That just made sense! The books list a 9/16 and a 5/8" thread for the two ball joints. I never thought the hole was to small. thanks for your help gonna try this the next time we are over there just have to find a bit.

twizted
02-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Thanks that's what I was just wondering. I have a high speed deburring tool that cuts pretty good and should work well. Thanks for you help I was thinking to much and couldn't see the simple answer.

On the other note I assume this works on top ball joint cause I believe they are 10 degree
He wants to know if it will make a difference in the feel of the car? Thanks for all the help you don't know the sleep I have lost over this.

drtrkr244
02-04-2014, 06:19 PM
You are lowering the roll center by installing longer ball joints. Therefore, the car will trransfer more weight to the outside tires. This should loosen the racecar slightly! Unless the driver is experienced, i doubt if he will notice the difference.

Confused?
02-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Actually, it's the other way around. Taller ball joints raise the roll center, not lower it. But, more importantly, it increases the camber gain at that wheel.

drtrkr244
02-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Explain. Because your instant center moved outward because stockers have little to none uca angle. In fact, i have notched and rewelded stock uppers to get some angle in them.

Confused?
02-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Too difficult for me to explaine by typing. Draw it out on paper with stock hieght ball joint pivot points and then raise them up. The roll center will rise because the instant center for the control arms will be closer to the center on the chassis. This is what causes the roll center to raise.

But like I said before, it's minor compared to helping the camber curve.

BTW, altering the a-frames does nothing to the roll centers. They are based solely on the pivot points. The bolts for the a-frames, the pivot point of the ball joints, and the centers of the tire contact patches.

drtrkr244
02-06-2014, 07:24 PM
I have drawn out many stock front ends on paper and computer.Their instant centers are nowhere near the center of the front end.You generally have to install longer upper and longer bjs to get the moment center even close for dirt racing.I modified the aarms to relocate the pickup points.

Confused?
02-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Nobody said anything about them being in the center of the car. Only raising or lowering.

Altering the a-frames to move the mounts is a differnt story. And that makes total sense if someone has to use "stock" a-frames.

drtrkr244
02-07-2014, 03:46 PM
I realize its hard to explain front end geometry with few words, but your second sentence confused me by saying "closer to the center on the chassis". At least , it appears you have calculated your roll centers before. I believe the roll centers are the most critical measurement to have them right before you ever race!

RRR_Products
02-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Is no one running dodge ball joints? I can't find any info on these for metric clip cars.

Confused?
02-11-2014, 05:35 PM
The screw in uppers are based off of Dodge ball joints. There are may different stud lengths available with the aftermarket brands.

RRR_Products
02-12-2014, 02:30 PM
The screw in uppers are based off of Dodge ball joints. There are may different stud lengths available with the aftermarket brands.I was referring to the lowers for ball joint. They are much larger and have a tall pin.

Confused?
02-12-2014, 09:03 PM
I think the lowers are also, but not sure. We are not allowed to run them in IMCA.We have to use the press in ones that fit the control arm. Aftermarket fabbed lowers use the screw in ball joints.

JHobbs26
02-13-2014, 02:27 AM
I think the lowers are also, but not sure. We are not allowed to run them in IMCA.We have to use the press in ones that fit the control arm. Aftermarket fabbed lowers use the screw in ball joints.

grind the threads off and they'll fit into the press-in hole.

RRR_Products
02-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Yes they're press and or threaded for same application. They press right into the 2" diameter hole. Gets the height you want and a bigger joint.