PDA

View Full Version : Set a tire with a damaged beads

hughesracing9
02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
I have some good tires, like 3 that have one race in them. I forgot my tire tools so ran to a tire shop so they could get them on and on all 3 the beads is gouged in one spot, about the size of the tip of a sharpened pencil, deep enough to see metal

NOW, when I have the tires mounted and spray soap on the side, i get no bubbles until i apply a little pressure with a hammer or screw driver to the sidewall, then it starts bubbling like crazy. The tires were let out, and spun and the leak always occurs where the piece of rubber is taken out.

these are brand new wheel too

So what are my options? They are LR, RF, and RR
I can tube the LR and make it a LF no problem, and dont have much issue with tubing the other two and using them on RF only, but im not sure what running a tube on the rf will do.
bead of silicone? tube? or trash?

dirtplay18
02-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I good coat of wheel bearing grease may help

dirty white boy
02-04-2014, 11:42 AM
lil dab of silicon

speedbuggy
02-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Fix-a-Flat

hughesracing9
02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
ill try the bead sealer, thanks
as far as fix a flat, or tire slime, i was always curious about those in the fronts.

FlatTire
02-05-2014, 04:36 PM
I've ran a tube in one before and ran it around 10psi on the LR and never had an issue.

I've also used silicone and had decent success.

I'd run the damaged bead on the inside if its a right side tire and on the outside if its a left side tire.

DANNY
02-06-2014, 07:24 PM
I use yellow 3M weather adheasive it still flexes and fills the spots that are messed up.

cgs
02-07-2014, 04:34 PM
I run tubes on three corners with no problems. Make sure the rims and in side of tire are clean and use baby powder both in the tire and on the tube, lightly dusted!! Where I race we seem to be rough and tubes have saved me numerous times!! Flat spotted rims and beads pushed in two inches with no problems lol.