PDA

View Full Version : Rocket black front - basic help

W2racing
02-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Hi guys. I bought a 2005 rocket 2inch black front. I'm too old and too poor to have a late model, but I did it anyway. I'm only going to run a handful of races, so I'm just looking for some basic help. I will be running 3/8th black dirt track, medium/high banking. We use D55 hoosier, 500-600 HP, and I believe I will have to weigh 2450. This is the first late model I have owned and I have very minimal late model driving experience. As such, I'm not looking for anybodies secret/trick setups. Rather I'm just looking for basic information that will make the car drivable while I try to figure out how to drive it. The car came with the following springs - LF 500 RF 400 LR 200 RR 250 5th coil 275. It also came with AFCO twintube shocks. I have no idea what they are so I'm getting them dynoed. Do these spring numbers sound anywhere close and what should I look for in AFCO twintube shocks for a basic setup? As I said guys, I don't want any of your hard earned secrets. Just looking for any basic help you can give me so I can just try to drive this thing fast enough to keep up. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Brian Gray
02-09-2014, 10:40 AM
W2 first off there are no such things like trick parts or set ups.

The springs you have should be fine for start up. I'd recommend calling rocket and get the setup book. If you keep the car within those guidelines you should have a stable setup assuming all of your components are in a+ shape. If you have little experience the best I can tell you is to take your time and learn how the car reacts. I have seen more start ups cause themselves more work and problems by trying to sling the car around thinking they are going fast but really are just all over the place. Learn to keep the car under control before you start changing a bunch of stuff and wasting your time and money.

Adding a little more toe in the front will help stabilize your race car and make it more manageable as well.

If you need any help the BGR shop is open 7 days a week . 513-519-7745

Brian Gray
02-09-2014, 10:43 AM
You can also check out our tech videos on THEDRC.NET we just shot a bunch of new episodes Friday and should be up soon