PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier tires and wheels

Anonymous24
02-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Hoosier openly says that their UMP modified tires (A40 D40 H40) will mount on an 8 or 9 inch wheel. Has anyone ever tried using 9 inch wheels. UMP never seems to check this and I know for fact that it has been done. Just looking for others opinions on this subject.

JustAddDirt
02-10-2014, 12:53 PM
yes.... I mean No...... I mean Maybe

Anonymous24
02-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Nice dodge...Anyways I know that its happening and have used 9 inch wheels in the past. I have never seen UMP make someone remove a mud cover to check the wheel. Its an easy cheat, especially for heat races. My experience is with 9 inch wheels the tread of the tire is more parallel to the track for more traction. Also you are able to run more tire pressure which opens the tread of the tire up more. Also noticed a more consistent wear pattern across the tire tread. A downfall is a shorter side wall height and over all tire circumference is also shorter. Which in return makes rough track not ideal for the shorter side wall and gear changes for shorter/taller tires. There is more info I can provide about this, but this isn't a seminar, its a discussion and I am looking for other peoples input on this subject.Its happening more than you think. So let's get the info out there for others. Obviously UMP don't care otherwise something would have been done about the situation by now.

Anonymous24
02-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Many looks but no bites. Come on people.

autoshop
02-11-2014, 12:17 PM
would you really want to win a race only to be shotdown when they find the 9" wheel on your car?

BPRC MAN
02-14-2014, 02:06 PM
You do have a good point about them never checking rim size,its not a body panel so they look the other way lol

jsf74
02-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Do they even make a 9" rim. All ive ever seen is 9.5?

QQQQ
02-14-2014, 03:36 PM
I was talking to the Bassett Wheel rep at PRI about there 9" beedlock. According to him, UMP asked about the wheel and they are OK with it as a beedlock, no 9" non beadlocks. So he says its legal on the right sides, but he is also trying to sell wheels? IDK?

autoshop
02-14-2014, 05:01 PM
if you add a beadlock kit to a standard wheel it makes it about 8 3/4 wide , then you my get away with it since the wheel will be stamped 15x8

js11
02-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Is there really and advantage to running the bigger rim when the tire's intended contact area isn't any wider? I'm not sure running on sidewall is a good thing. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

LM14
02-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Years ago, we used to make 9" wide wheels out of 2 damaged 8" wheels. You need the "right" damaged wheels to get your 2 halves to work with Split in the center and re-welded to 9" wide. If you plan it right, your weld is in the main well of the wheel and hid by the center section of the wheel. We had 3 of them that were never found until the new owner changed tires. We ran them on the LR to get more stagger and a wider footprint on the left rear. When you use a beadlock on the RR, it makes a tire shorter (since it's on a wider wheel) than it would be on a normal 8" wheel and that is how we combated it. Not UMP, we ran IMCA and it's the same way for that tire. There was a noticeable difference, we ran less LR bite and tire wear was better.

SPark

race21j
02-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Diamond racing wheel makes them every day.Owner says they sell more in UMP land then any where else.Yes it makes a difference in the setup.Price is about the same as a regular wheel.Contact them at:Order & Tech line :800-937-4407 Central time zone.