PDA

View Full Version : How Much Caster Gain

RACERRAY
02-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Just wondering what is ideal for caster gain in the front end. Should there be none? Trying to redesign a front end with a little more RF camber gain from what I have now, and was thinking about moving the mounts so I can eliminate the caster gain. Is this a good or bad thing? Thanks

let-r-eat
02-17-2014, 05:48 PM
The amount of caster gain is a touchy subject due to many factors and is mainly related to wheel load. On a slick track more caster gain could be advantageous but there are too many factors to make a suggestion. What spindle are you dealing with?

RACERRAY
02-17-2014, 06:57 PM
pinto on chevelle clip

Anonymous24
02-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Caster gain is related to several factors. A very important thing is Steering Axis Inclination. In my opinion it is the most crucial. Research this part of suspension geometry to find your answer. This question is extremely technical to answer.

Fetters F5
02-18-2014, 01:17 AM
From my understanding, caster gain can make the car unstable. I've talked to several chassis manufacturers and have done my own research. I just redid the pick up points on my own mod and designed it with 0 caster gain and 1.75° of camber gain per inch in the rf. Haven't track tested it yet but theoretically it seems like decent numbers.

7uptruckracer
02-18-2014, 09:12 AM
You will most the time get gain try to minimize it as best possible so you can get predictable weight jacking. Some layouts (more stock) have incredible gain.

junebug
02-21-2014, 06:07 PM
From my understanding, caster gain can make the car unstable. I've talked to several chassis manufacturers and have done my own research. I just redid the pick up points on my own mod and designed it with 0 caster gain and 1.75° of camber gain per inch in the rf. Haven't track tested it yet but theoretically it seems like decent numbers.

The smaller u can keep the caster chg the better u can get the bump steer that'll make the car more stable then u can adjust static caster to get the feel you want

LFMotorsports
03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
I would agree with junebug. I did a redesign on my old car. Best thing about minimal caster gain was it was predictable. Good or bad, liked it or not, it did the same thing. I adjusted static caster to improve the feel and wasn't really effected by how hard I drove into the corner. There is more technical parts, I'm sure, but minimal makes it more manageable. My opinion.

let-r-eat
03-07-2014, 01:39 AM
The guys here are giving you some good info. With that combination of parts you are limited to the position of the mounting points and their static dimensions. With the top a arm cross shaft parallel to the forward plane and the lower arcing perpendicular to that forward plane you would have zero gain. Your static gain would then be adjusted by moving the cross shaft forward or backwards along the parallel plane. The more anti dive you would put in the upper the more positive gain you would see and vice versa .............

7uptruckracer
03-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Most metric don't have lowers that are perpendicular though, Is this why if you go to say Beakbuilts Facebook page and look at his uppers their mounts are not oriented perpendicular to the centerline?

let-r-eat
03-08-2014, 08:59 PM
I've never noticed their stuff before. They are building a nice car! Yes, that could be one reason. And we also need to remember there are always compromises made. Perhaps camber gain isn't as important as contact patch positioning within the confinement of the rules?