PDA

View Full Version : shortening RR wheelbase

el paso mod 19
02-18-2014, 06:52 PM
My car does not want to stay under me when picking up the throttle. It just wants to keep going to the wall. I have been told to shorten RR wb. I was even up. I shorten RR, and now have the right side 3/4" shorter. Haven't had car out yet but got to thinking "what happens to the handling if I go too far? And what is going to short? Can you give me some heads up on what to expect? Right now the car enters good but as soon as I try to get on the gas it goes to the wall until I get out of the throttle. Thanks

jsf74
02-18-2014, 09:16 PM
your making the car tighter? do u have a push or are u loose.

el paso mod 19
02-19-2014, 05:58 AM
To me it feels like loose. Or is it too much rear steer? Backend does not stay under me, just drives rear towards wall. Doesn't feel or sound like the tires are getting buzzed, just keeps driving around towards the front.

7uptruckracer
02-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Could be too little bite static or dynamic because you described it only on throttle and a rear end tracking deal would be tailed out all the time I definitely don't agree if you were already square to suck the RR in thats not a good compromise at all you want to pick something that will effect the least elsewhere. Maybe look into a LR spring, Stagger or Bite depending on how you are in other parts of the corner, Post your scale and spring info

JustAddDirt
02-19-2014, 07:49 AM
how much stagger are you running?

Mod77L
02-19-2014, 10:05 AM
You might be on to something with the rear steer. How much angle is in your LR lower bar? Too much angle will send the car to the wall on the throttle just as you describe.

el paso mod 19
02-19-2014, 04:00 PM
I was running almost 2" and moved it down to 3/4" stagger. Did help some but not enough. LL bar is about 6 degrees(I'm out of town and don't have my setup book with me), LU is 23 degrees, RL level, and RU 16 degrees. I've been warned that with the right side leading that it may want to steer towards the wall if I would have to get off the throttle suddenly, because of coming down off the bars too fast. By the way, car is spring behind/shock in front on left side and shock/coilover in front on right side. Also, with leading right side, it would seem to me that I would need to get back on throttle quickly after turning in to keep from getting a push. Trying to learn as much as possible before getting car on track and take a chance of plowing into wall on first lap.

powerslide
02-19-2014, 04:58 PM
With that little of stagger and the RR shorter i cant see how you would still be chasing the rear of the car up the track. Where are you measuring trail to/from? Who built the car?

el paso mod 19
02-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Powerslide, I haven't had car out since I shorten the right side. I think it will help my problem but wanted input. The car is an AOS which is built by local driver. Front on metric with chevelle lowers and pinto spindles. His cars are fast, I just have something a little off.

racin6mod
02-19-2014, 06:09 PM
did you mean nova lowers with pinto spindles?

el paso mod 19
02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Yes. Sorry.

powerslide
02-19-2014, 06:33 PM
I wouldnt go past even. What backspace RR? Sounds like something is bound up, have you taken birdcages off and checked them? Have you traveled the rear suspension through its motions and make sure something isnt bound? Checked RR shock still good? What RR spring is in it and how far down on the birdcage is the mount?

7uptruckracer
02-20-2014, 07:35 AM
I agree with powerslide 100% Your bars aren't that radical at all.... check for binds. post complete rear end spring shock and scale info you shouldn't have to lead the RR. What tire are you on? How much bite etc. Lr Drop? Bar angle at full drop?

Dirtrunner35
02-20-2014, 08:07 AM
HMM sounds like your driving the car in and getting on the gas WITHOUT the rear sliding a little and it goes to the wall when hitting the gas,

missile07
02-20-2014, 02:55 PM
We pull the RR forward just about all the time for driver feel. Says he can really tell a difference after the car starts to tail out, but we do run a little more drop than normal.

By forward I mean even to 1/2 inch forward. Seems to help him get under cars coming out of the turn. Just my opinion.

1fast1
02-20-2014, 05:26 PM
my want to shorten lr chain and leave rs bar straight up

el paso mod 19
02-20-2014, 05:55 PM
I knew I should have brought my setup book with me-I'm out of town currently and do not remember all info that you are asking. I know the springs are LR 200, RR 175, LF 550, and RF 600. Bite has varied from 50# to currently 96#. I don't run a chain I run a bump stop on LR. Everything else will have to wait till I get home, I simply can't remember. Percentages were 55.2 left, 55.4 rear, and 49 cross.

Duckhnter83
02-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Are you bottoming out your right front a arm? That would cause it to push up the track

el paso mod 19
02-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Car is not pushing; on the gas the rearend wants to come around. When I lift, the rear goes back to where it belongs. It's like the rear is steering towards wall while the front is fine. Sorry if I wasn't clear before. We run American Racers tires.(USRA rules)

7uptruckracer
02-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Look at things that are throttle dominant for changes. Top link, Pull Bar Lift Arm etc. Drop, Upper Bar Angles, Rear Weight which your a little low but not out there, You bite is ok, any binds, your rear springs look fine your fronts aren't out there, Rf maybe a little soft for what your complaining about, could be shocks, or a bar angle, put it at drop and measure your dynamic angle. is it 4 link or z link? what is spring arrangement RR on top LR behind If I missed it mentioned already sorry.

el paso mod 19
02-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Car is 4 link, LR spring behind shock in front, and RR is coilover in front.

xxxmod
02-25-2014, 09:07 AM
I would square the rear end back up,and try at least 20 degrees in the right upper bar,it should
put more drive in the RR freeing you up.getting the wheel base to tight on the right side will
cause the car to dart right if you let of suddenly.

Dirtrunner35
02-25-2014, 09:23 AM
When you are hitting the gas does the rear want to got ot the right ????????? If so that is normal for a 4 =bar , z-link set up

el paso mod 19
02-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Dirtrunner, the problem is it never stops going right unless I get off throttle. Car never comes back under me. I've spent a lot of time watching "the fast boys" and, yes most of the time the rear will go right for a second and then come back under them and stays there down straightaway. On mine I have to drive out of passenger window and it isn't a comfortable feeling. After last three years in a 4-bar car I'm just about ready to go to a three link.