PDA

View Full Version : IMCA Tire Prep

Sportmod Rookie
02-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Right now I'm siping and using a carbide disc. Discs I'm getting now wear out faster then I expected even when only using them on clean tires. What works best for you? Who's discs are you using?

jonnywhoop52
03-05-2014, 07:53 PM
I use a flap disc I get from AirGas. They are a type 27 for finishing steel, but on a variable speed buffer they work extremely well. I use a range from 40 to 80 grit. They are however on the expensive side but I get a lot of tires done with them. Hope this helps, I'm not sure if it's legal in IMCA or not but needlers are a good thing to have as well

cavemod
03-05-2014, 11:04 PM
I use a wire wheel on a buffer and just make them black again .we get about 5 decent runs on them before they fall off but I will say we usually have hammerdown fast tracks never get dry.when they do fall off they become spares or end up going to newer b mod guys.

sirleafalot
03-06-2014, 06:22 AM
this was discussed at Harris school last weekend. The consensus was that it did not matter so much on what disc you use just to not get carried away and only take off enough to knock glaze off tire. they did talk about siping and agreed that it is a worthwhile deal depending on track surface as far as how deep to cut and if you went across or around. bottom line pick the disc that works for you and dont take too much off.

stock car driver
03-06-2014, 07:15 AM
I make this and use it on my IMCA tires. It sipes the tires, you can vary the depth by the pressure your apply and vary the amount of sipes by how many times you let the tire go around.

I use a rotator or put tires on the front of my car to grind them with the car jacked up.

I put fewer screws in now, so you can add more if you want more sipes and you have more room to put in new ones down the road. one of these discs should last you years, you can replace the screws in my holes a few times, then drill new holes and install new screws and start over again until you cover the whole disc.

http://www.jnjfab.com/gallery/gallerylarge.asp?picid=373

CsR41
03-06-2014, 08:17 AM
I don't know if it's the proper way, but it seems to work for me.

I use an older carbide disk on tires I just want to scuff the top layer off(like new tires). On older tires or ones that I REALLY want to get in deep, I use a newer disk that isn't really worn.

LM14
03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
We used the normal 24 grip sand paper disc on a 8" slow speed buffer. It removes the glaze, gets to clean rubber fast and leaves a slight texture without ripping it up. A disc will last 2 or 3 seasons even it you don't clean the tire off first. In my opinion, you can't beat this method for cost and speed.

SPark

Throwin' it in
03-08-2014, 09:16 PM
We use a 3M 36 grit disc on a variable speed buffer and than sipe after that. We used to nail grind, but we were burning through tires so fast. My plan this year is to continue to sipe the rears but nail grind the fronts so I will report back if I remember.