PDA

View Full Version : switch from bilstein to QA1 twin tube shock ?

sirleafalot
03-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Hi wanting to move to the 50 series QA1 from the Bilsteins we run now, want to get away from the gas psi, realize there is down side to this but anyway has anyone made this conversion before ? Is there are chart somewhere that can tell you for example what QA1 would swap out for a 55/55 ? thanks

MM90
03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Unless you have the dyno sheets from both shocks, there is no way to know for sure that a Bilstein 50/50 is the same as a QA1 50/50. I am thinking about making the same switch as well, but I will go through a QA1 rebuilder to get shocks set for my car.

sirleafalot
03-03-2014, 10:53 AM
thanks, at the moment I run the off the shelf bilsteins that my chassis builder says to run and I am hoping to get to the equivilant of what those would be in a QA1 50 series. Dont want to deal with gas psi stuff anymore and even though the twin tubes fade when they get hot, really needing the feel without the gas psi to see if that helps us with handling and feel etc

7uptruckracer
03-03-2014, 12:12 PM
A good monotube with a good piston should give you the same feel as a twin tube if built and valved right but you can get your current shocks dynoed and compare to your new shocks dyno sheets.

roundboy
03-12-2014, 06:40 AM
I started out years ago in a sportsman with twin tube shocks(afco,s) and made the switch to bilsteins, it was night and day differance!!! The bilsteins made my car handle 110% better and ride like a cadallac, and these are off the shelf shocks, some of which i still have and are now on my b-mod or in the trailor and still work like they were new... thats my experience with the two...

LM14
03-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Why not go to the 26 series QA1 and get them modified to suit your tastes. We lowered the pressures in our 26 series shocks to get a shock that felt more like a twin tube but acted like a mono tube. Get the best of both worlds.

SPark

JR. MECHANIC
03-14-2014, 09:19 AM
One thing to watch out for when lowering gas pressure in a monotube shock without a base valve is cavitation....