PDA

View Full Version : 68-72 chevelle street stock help

3kstreeter
03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
I have ran metric cars for many years but decided to build a chevelle just to have something different. I was just curious if any one had some set up info or things they had to do different to a chevelle than a metric. Heres what i started with
Car weighs 3200
54% left
53% rear with about 180# of bite not sure if this is a good starting point or if i need more or less.
All my lead is over the rear end or a little in front of it
Springs lf 800
Rf 900
lr 16" 100
Rr 200
I appreciate any info. Maybe im over thinking this and my metric setups would be fine.
also the tracks i race are 3/8 clay and extremly dry by the time we race.

ToddSmith16
03-05-2014, 10:10 PM
pretty close to my set-up except I ran a 275 in the LR. 180 of bite is a good starting point and increase if necessary. My best results was at 216.

3kstreeter
03-06-2014, 09:17 AM
I was thinking the same thing for the left rear spring. I ran the car last season with the tall lr 100# spring because that seemed to be the popular trend but im not sure if its really yhe best way to go.another thing is over the winter itook the chevelle body off and put a 2004 monte body on it. The car was almost 150# lighter. I started weighing body panels and found out almost 50# came off the front end, so i was also thinking of going down 100# on the front springs.
Thank you for the info.

motorsports12
04-12-2014, 09:56 AM
not sure if we are on the same page or not (my car is a chevelle clip chassis tubing from there back) but i run z-link in the rear with the lr spring at 200 rr spring at 225 fronts are about the same (i think i am at 900 and 1000) but i do know my rear percentage is less than yours .. more around the 51.5% range and my car handles pretty good on a high banked 1/2 mile

3kstreeter
04-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info. We have to run the frame and suspension stock except tubing from the center of the hump back.that was the main reason i wanted to try the chevelle as the geometry is better than a metric in stock form. I must have had pretty good metric setups because i honestly dont feel like its an advantage. The only thing i noticed is that when the car is on the right front in the corner it doesnt feel like it. It feels like it is hardly rolling over at all but shock travel tells me it is. In my metric i could feel the car rolled over on the right front.

stock car driver
04-14-2014, 08:45 PM
metric is narrower = more roll side to side

I had chevelle then bought a used metric, cant believe I won races in that full sized chevelle, metric is way better on dirt where you need side bite and maneuverability.