PDA

View Full Version : Front nose size

twisterf5
03-10-2014, 06:02 AM
i am seeing a lot of cars with wide front body's and hoods. do you really need more down force on the front of a mod. i still run the same size 35'' from bumper to end of hood. just getting back into mods after 4 years off. but took fastest time at the track last sat and that with some late model there i just can't see why you need that much body up front. would love to hear your thoughts on this. is it just monkey see monkey do or is there at gain from it. thanks

thinkstomuch
03-10-2014, 06:33 AM
I can certainly see an advantage to keeping the front end down keeping the car turning good. But then you require the HP to counter that. My opinion is it is a good idea as long as you have the power. On the biggest tracks I can see this theory amplified. jmo

Fetters F5
03-10-2014, 07:18 AM
I think having a wide nose/hood also aids in drag. Instead of all that air hitting the firewall and going through the body, it redirects it around and over the body. As far as a noticeable gain, I doubt it's substantial.

Renegade Cust Susp
03-10-2014, 07:33 AM
Had a guy tell me once the only thing that is free in racing is air. So why not use it the best you can?
I think on big fast racetracks you will certainly feel a difference. On small or stop and go track I don't think there will be one at all. Cosmetically I think the long noses look cooler too lol.

UltimateRaceCars
03-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Any air that hits the firewall is creating drag and not adding downforce, any air going through the dirty under side of the car is adding drag and not creating downforce. Seems pretty simple that any air that you can keep from going under will reduce drag and potentially add downforce. But like others said you probably wont see big gains but its definitely worth doing right and help yourself. I always try to take advantage of any gains I can with aero.

twisterf5
03-10-2014, 03:45 PM
ok!! but if the air is going to hit the fire wall wouldn't the big hood hold it in. i would think with the small left side foot box open it would let the air out instead of trapping it. i can see some going over but with no fenders i am just thinking it is blocking it. most my tracks will be 3/8 or smaller. maybe i will pull some timed laps with both and see what works.

RaceMentally
03-10-2014, 04:45 PM
That bobble in turn 3 and 4 just cost you 4/10ths but the downforce depending on track maybe a tenth if lucky?.. Don't forget this isn't asphalt. The characteristic of the car or always different from set up and track. The air can be unpredictable as well. Head wind, tail, through corner side forces. If you ever want to fully understand aero grip go to an open wheel Indy car school on a windy day. Your braking points will vary immensely. But to conclude my thoughts focus on mechanical grip and make a cool body you like for looks and not so much aero grip.

Renegade Cust Susp
03-10-2014, 06:04 PM
I know for a fact testing has been done and the cars are faster without hoods. That being said, less trapped air under the hood vs more exposed fire wall. There's a point at which an optimum balanced is reached. Pushing a 8x8 flat panel through the air that's mostly behind a LF tire and in turbulent air should produce less drag than a 55x50 hood with 5in tall sides would trap would it not?

twisterf5
03-11-2014, 07:05 AM
it is just like our late models last year. a lot of big names having the sail panels cut out but this year they are back to almost solid. ran that myself but went back to solid because it lets more air out and not to the spoiler. after thinking about it i am just going to stay with the small nose and hood.

qrteracer
03-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Hell Twister I would put the easiest replacable nose if you are going to race Carolina......

twisterf5
03-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Hell Twister I would put the easiest replacable nose if you are going to race Carolina......
raced crate to long so i already have every thing bolt on 2 minutes and you can change whole body.

js11
03-11-2014, 06:36 PM
To the original question about the nose piece, I suppose it has a similar effect as a wing on a spring, etc, if you run the 1" lip, etc... i.e., down force on the front of the car.

As for the hood, my guess is that a hood will not do much (though maybe a little) to keep air off the driver-side firewall, since even if you do redirect noes from the nose, it will slip past the hood (since most folks aren't allowed to run the lip along the hood, sides) and you will still get the air rushing in at the out edges and through the motor compartment, etc. I could be wrong. But I think there is only marginal benefit on most dirt short tracks. I'm not even sure it looks better, and that's the important thing. LOL

Ultimately I think you can get more benefit with side force from the right side doors and extending that with the enclosed sail panels, since these cars do run with the rear kicked out quite a bit of the time.

charcoal01
03-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Any one seen what david reutamin (I'm sure I just spelled that wrong) with his hoods? I saw a video with him and he puts something on it that he calls the flamingo wing. He made a quick mention about redirecting air off the rf tire. Something else to think about I guess.

powerslide
03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Any one seen what david reutamin (I'm sure I just spelled that wrong) with his hoods? I saw a video with him and he puts something on it that he calls the flamingo wing. He made a quick mention about redirecting air off the rf tire. Something else to think about I guess.

This ugly thing that attaches to the side of the hood?

qrteracer
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
I kinda like a guy who makes their car stand out and not like every other modified out there.......
Need to get out of the 70's and make the bodies like a 2014 modified !!

stock car driver
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
I kinda like a guy who makes their car stand out and not like every other modified out there.......
Need to get out of the 70's and make the bodies like a 2014 modified !!

2014= wide hood that traps all kinds of air under it and causes you down force and curved way out rr sail panel that costs you side force?

modifieds are modifieds even after you jump up and down to straighten panels they still are ugly flat fabricated cars.

avenger1
03-12-2014, 05:34 PM
And still way prettier than a stock car, especially the ugly ass front wheel drive cars made into a stock car! UGLY!

stock car driver
03-14-2014, 09:59 AM
And still way prettier than a stock car, especially the ugly ass front wheel drive cars made into a stock car! UGLY!

aww your feelings got hurt

thinkstomuch
03-14-2014, 04:41 PM
now I see how good topics derail. wow

Renegade Cust Susp
03-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Lol. That is all.

Krooser
03-15-2014, 06:00 PM
OEM engineers spend millions of $$$ looking for the slightest advantage in an aero package for their cars. The difference is they use million dollar wind tunnels to fine tune their designs.

While I won't rule out some big dog having a secret wind tunnel in his backyard dirt car shop, I would say any change you make to the front of a race car without any firm drag #'s is just a wild ass guess.

kilroy be here
03-16-2014, 09:36 AM
I would just look at pics of the Dillon cars from Volusia , I think it would be a safe bet these cars have probably seen a wind tunnel-------- then monkey see, monkey do!!! pretty easy research!