PDA

View Full Version : Rodeck block help

TEAM56RACER
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
I was wondering about the best place on a Rodeck block to put the oil inlet fitting from the dry sump pump. I currently have it going in just above the timing chain cover. There are two other ports on the back of the block where the casting numbers would normally be on a stock block. I know that one on the drivers side will not work, this port seems to just dead end. My problem is I'm running a reverse mount oil pump and it seems like it could be to too far to pump the oil all the way around to the front of the motor. I would just try the passenger side port on the back of the motor, but there is not much room for the fittings because of the head. Any help would be appreciated.

wisdirtfan
03-16-2014, 08:48 PM
The fittings on the back of the bellhousing are for the valley scavenge. Plumbing the pressure in the front is where it is supposed to go. Why do you feel it is too far to pump the oil? Every motor I have worked on has the oil coming in there and never had a problem be it gm blocks rodecks darts and brodix. My car pumps through the filter then goes backwards to the oil cooler then back forward to the front of the block and never had a problem.

izzy9
03-16-2014, 08:50 PM
I have a rodeck350+ block , had problem with clearance on head & motor plate on right side. moved input line to left side ,there is more room . I have had no trouble . hope this helps IZZY9

TEAM56RACER
03-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the help. The reason Im not sure about the left port on the back is because when I plumbed into it I couldn't get oil pressure on the gauge. I have my gauge plumbed in next to the distributor. Another question is about how much pressure should I set the pump at idle? I run a 44/22 tooth pulley.

wisdirtfan
03-17-2014, 04:37 PM
You got no pressure because it was pumping the valley full of oil. Those ports are scavenge ports for the valley they are there to vaccum the oil out.. As far as pressure goes it depends on bearing clearance and which spring is in the relief in the pump. My car has 60 psi at idle and I have tried to turn it down but the relief is out all the way so the spring needs to be changed it make it lower.

TEAM56RACER
03-17-2014, 06:33 PM
I talked to Wesmar racing engines today and they told me the same thing that wisdirtfan said about the rear ports being for scavenge only. 50-60 psi is what I currently have the pump set at idle, my concern with that is what is my pressure @ 8500 rpms. The builder said 20-30 psi would be a good idle pressure.

5lfan
03-17-2014, 08:15 PM
10 pounds of pressure for every thousand RPM's (8000rpm 80 pounds pressure)

sj valley dave
03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
We plumb ours just like wisdirtfan. Pressure side to a 2 qt filter, then oil cooler and then to the front of the block, using all #12 line on the pressure side. This is a 350+ Rodeck block. At racing temp with JG XP9 which is like a 10-40, it is around 20 lbs at idle and 60 lbs at 8500 rpm. The old 10 lbs per 1,000 rpm is kinda of gone by the wayside some...

4racer
03-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Do you plumb the scavenge line in the left port of the back of the engine? I can't get a fitting in the right port because of the head.

let-r-eat
03-20-2014, 09:26 PM
How many stages on the pump? How many scavenge lines? The first scavenge line if you only have one should be going into the return line on the oil pan.Pressure to filter housing, cooler, and then to front of block as mentioned.

4racer
03-21-2014, 09:05 AM
i have a 5 stage pump. I have 3 lines coming out of the pan and then the pump has a -10 fitting on the 4th scavenge port. most guys i know pull that scavenge out of the right port on the rear of the engine but they have other style blocks. I just got this Rodeck block and cant get to that fitting because the head is in the way. I was wondering if the port on the left rear of the engine is a scavenge of the lifter vally as well or not? Tried to get ahold of the engine builder and he never returns my call.

sj valley dave
03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
We run a 5 stage also, 3 #12's scavenge from the pan and one #10 from the right rear lifter valley area. It was drilled and tapped for a #10 fitting

wisdirtfan
03-21-2014, 08:17 PM
You should pull oil out of the valley from the right side because that's the way the oil moves in the engine due to turning left but if you cant get the hose on use the other side they both do the same thing right side for circle track left side drag racing. With a 5 stage 3 -12 out of the pan and 1 -10 out of the valley. I use -12 to feed the pressure stage and -10 out to the filter and cooler to the block.