PDA

View Full Version : Shock Pressure

Race03
03-18-2014, 08:25 AM
I was told that changing the air pressure in your shocks from 100 to 50 does not change rate and only changes rod pressure. This does not make sense to me. If you speed up or slow down rod pressure it would almost have to change the shock rates some. Is this misinformation or can someone explain this.

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-18-2014, 09:05 AM
I was told that changing the air pressure in your shocks from 100 to 50 does not change rate and only changes rod pressure. This does not make sense to me. If you speed up or slow down rod pressure it would almost have to change the shock rates some. Is this misinformation or can someone explain this.

The rate of your shock is determined by the shaft speed. The air pressure in your shock makes a force that is almost constant. It decreases slightly as the rod extends out of the body. It doesn't have an effect on the valving of your shock, the part that produces force based on shaft speed.

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-18-2014, 10:14 AM
The rod pressure is like having a twin tube shock on the car and a helium balloon tied to the chassis where the shock mounts. It applies an upward force to the chassis at that point.

keeks
03-18-2014, 01:30 PM
So in essense, a twin tube requires the weight of the unsprung components to help it extend, whereas the gas shock uses the pressure to help keep the contact patch where it needs to be, on the ground?

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
So in essense, a twin tube requires the weight of the unsprung components to help it extend, whereas the gas shock uses the pressure to help keep the contact patch where it needs to be, on the ground?

The energy released by the compressed spring is much larger than that component. But it is there as well.