PDA

View Full Version : tire wear

redracersmod
03-24-2014, 07:15 AM
What is the optimal wear pattern for Hoosier g60s? If the car is set up right is feathering normal? I have equal temps side to side and I am feathering the tires on the rear and slightly on both fronts on a dry slick.

redracersmod
03-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Nobody?? Someone has to have some knowledge/ insight.

oldtrackchamp4x
03-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Was told long time ago, if you are getting feathering you are back steering to much and sliding the car. JMO

redracersmod
03-25-2014, 10:53 AM
How would someone fix the problem

stock car driver
03-25-2014, 11:18 AM
um your turning left the tires are going to feather its a non issue. use temps to check your balance and set up not feathering

TCmod
03-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Usually feathers when you are sliding the car. Happens a lot to drivers who carry too much speed into the corner and slide through entry and middle. RF will feather a lot when the car is too tight and pushing the front end up the track middle out. It could be a traction issue but make sure you're not over shooting the corner first.

Anonymous24
03-27-2014, 05:29 AM
I have two possible answers for you. Your front suspension and steering componets may be set incorrectly. The scrub radius may be to excessive due to extreme toe change while having the wheels turned to the left or right. Measure your toe with wheels straight. Turn the wheels 30° to the left and remeasure your toe. Turn the wheel 30° to the right and again measure the toe. Its optimal to have as little toe change as possible with the wheels turned to the left or right. Different steering components may be required to achieve proper changes in scrub radius.Another possible scenario is that during chassis roll in dynamic, the sprung weight is over shooting the middle of the tire contact patch. This can cause the tire side wall to flex more than you would want it to, momentarily allowing the tire contact patch to slide upon the track surface causing light feathering. Personally, I believe it is more likely a steering components issue causing excessive tire scrub radius.