PDA

View Full Version : 4150 hp holley 830cfm problems

joshua19racing
03-25-2014, 10:15 AM
I have the holley 4150 hp 830 cfm annular booster carb on my 408 sbc. The car will idle in the garage for an hour and barely make it to 180 degrees, but at the track within 5 laps the temp is 230. I'm sure it's leaning out. the plugs are white and have even burnt the tip off a few times. I have changed jets from 78 all the way to 94's and made no difference. The air bleeds are still stock 73 idle and 30 high speed. I'm sure the problem is in the carb because I put an old borrowed 750 on and never goes over 210 degrees. any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

powerslide
03-26-2014, 08:30 AM
try over on speedtalk.com

LM14
03-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Does it seem down on power compared to the borrowed carb? Only symptom is the heating issue?

SPark

joshua19racing
03-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Yes. The only symptom is over heating and burning tips off spark plugs. My carb actually seems more responsive and never loses power still pulling hard even at 230 degrees. Inside of headers even look white. I did change fuel pumps also because I was told I could be losing fuel pressure but that didn't help either.

LM14
03-27-2014, 12:23 PM
You have a restriction in the carb. I would actually send it back to the builder to have it checked out. With that big of a swing in jets with no change, that circuit isn't working properly. That is a different circuit than the idle circuit and it apparently s giving some gas but not enough.

On things like this, I've always found it much faster to send in in vs trying to find it myself. Send it back to Holley if it's stock or send it to the builder if it's not.

That, or sell it and buy your friend's 750!

SPark

joshua19racing
03-27-2014, 01:52 PM
As obvious as that sounds I never thought to contact holley and see what that would charge to redo it for me. Its just a stock carb nothing like c&s, willys, or quick fuel. Thanks lm14. I could buy the 750 cheap but it has idle problems, it pours fuel at idle and floods motor unless you keep throttle cracked. That's why my buddy quit using it.

stock car driver
03-27-2014, 03:20 PM
take them apart and carb clean them and blow everything out.. both just sound like dirty carbs.

then get r2c filter, wrap and base so you don't get all that dirt in them in the future.

joshua19racing
03-28-2014, 08:23 PM
I have taken it apart and blew carb cleaner and compressed air threw every hole all seemed clear. I did notice a small tear in the base plate gasket between two of the bbls. Getting new gaskets now. Also curious if changing air bleeds wil help my situation.