PDA

View Full Version : cross weight % and bite

Duckhnter83
03-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Im new to scaling my own car and trying to learn as much as i can so i can be succesfull and competitive. So my question is can you lower the cross weight percentage and increase lr bite? If so how?

kilroy be here
03-26-2014, 09:47 PM
more left side wieght

Duckhnter83
03-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Can you keep all the other percentages the same such as left and rear and still lower cross and increase bite? Like by moving weight around?

Anonymous24
03-27-2014, 12:55 AM
Balance is what your looking for. Extra ballast can be detrimental if you already weigh at minimum weight without it. Equal weight transfer to the right side wheels is optimal in dynamic. For example, if the RF loads up to lets say 850 lbs during cornering, you want the RR to load up to 850lbs also. Its better to relocate components such as fuel cell and battery to optimum locations to achieve proper weight transfer rather than adding ballast. Also you should set ride heights and weights with the driver in the car. Failure to do so will change Left side percentage and Bite when the driver climbs into the car. Also the ride heights change which also causes the control arm angles and rear suspension angles to change. That's my two cents.

jsf74
03-27-2014, 01:08 AM
i agree ^^^^^^

Anonymous24
03-27-2014, 01:36 AM
i agree ^^^^^^Thank you. Nice to see people who have taken the time to educate themselves on tuning (set-up) technology participate in these discussions.

speedbuggy
03-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Can you keep all the other percentages the same such as left and rear and still lower cross and increase bite? Like by moving weight around?

You cannot move weight (except vertically) without changing either left% or rear%.

To answer your question, you cannot lower cross and increase bite and keep the left% and rear% the same (unless you ADD weight to the car).

mod71m
03-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Don't get so concerned with every percentage you find being exactly as someone is recommending.

I personally don't even pay attention to cross % anymore. I get the left side and rear % correct with weight placement, then set bite with the weight jacks. The cross % just is what it is at that point.

1Blacksheep
03-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Balance is what your looking for. Extra ballast can be detrimental if you already weigh at minimum weight without it. Equal weight transfer to the right side wheels is optimal in dynamic. For example, if the RF loads up to lets say 850 lbs during cornering, you want the RR to load up to 850lbs also. Its better to relocate components such as fuel cell and battery to optimum locations to achieve proper weight transfer rather than adding ballast. Also you should set ride heights and weights with the driver in the car. Failure to do so will change Left side percentage and Bite when the driver climbs into the car. Also the ride heights change which also causes the control arm angles and rear suspension angles to change. That's my two cents.

2 cents that are worth 2 Bucks! Well said :)

stock car driver
03-28-2014, 07:39 AM
just put tape over the cross numbers on your scales. in dirt we refer to the bite (the difference in lr and rr)

You only need the driver in the car once. I set my lf 1\4 high and lr 3\16 high and its correct when I get in. Its not rocket science.

Duckhnter83
03-28-2014, 01:07 PM
When increasing bite to make adjustments at the track how much should you go at a time? 10lbs 20, 30????

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-28-2014, 03:34 PM
When increasing bite to make adjustments at the track how much should you go at a time? 10lbs 20, 30????

drtrkr244
03-28-2014, 05:58 PM
I agree 100% scdriver. Been doing it that way for 20 years and have never had a problem.

Also, what I've found on most racecars to adjust bite at the track is: one half round in RF, one half round out LF, 1 round in LR, 1 round out of RR adds approx. 25 lbs of bite.