PDA

View Full Version : Caliper mounts

keeks
03-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Just mounting up some new birdcages. The last set had the caliper mounted to the cage. This set has separate caliper mounts.

Should I drill and tap the tube? I would assume the clamping force alone would not be enough? Or just drill the tube? Does it need to be tapped?

Thanks.

MasterSbilt_Racer
03-28-2014, 02:39 PM
Just mounting up some new birdcages. The last set had the caliper mounted to the cage. This set has separate caliper mounts.

Should I drill and tap the tube? I would assume the clamping force alone would not be enough? Or just drill the tube? Does it need to be tapped?

Thanks.

Drill and tap is the best way. I have gotten away with just dimpling the tube and using a set screw, but that is being awful trusting.

keeks
03-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Nice! Thanks!

hpmaster
03-28-2014, 03:06 PM
I have always just drilled them and had no problems.

JTSjet
03-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Thanks.

Drill AND Tap the tube!! tap the bracket and the axle tube as one continuous thread to eleminate any slop. use a minimum of 3/8 bolts, 7/16 is best - 1/2" starts to compromise the tube integrity.

i have seen 3/8 bolts installed properly and still shear off - heavy track on the brakes hard to avoid a crash. in most cases you'll be fine but if it cuts loose it might end your night.

Lizardracing
04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Drill AND Tap the tube!! tap the bracket and the axle tube as one continuous thread to eleminate any slop. use a minimum of 3/8 bolts, 7/16 is best - 1/2" starts to compromise the tube integrity.

i have seen 3/8 bolts installed properly and still shear off - heavy track on the brakes hard to avoid a crash. in most cases you'll be fine but if it cuts loose it might end your night.

You can always use 3/8 bolts and do both sides of the tube. That would be stronger than one 1/2" bolt.