PDA

View Full Version : leaking RR hub seal

Duckhnter83
03-30-2014, 04:16 PM
I have replaced the RR hub seal 2 times and its still leaking. Any way to get these things to seal up. I'm new to this. Someone told me a seal inside the third member could be the problem. Any help would be great!

LFMotorsports
03-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Several people make an axle tube seal that is driven into the tube inside by the 3rd member. If you don't have one at all, then install one soon. I have ran into the same issue on a 9" in an old car, but it had none. It will also help keep the oil near the gear, not down the tube. Might just save you from tearing up a gear.

Duckhnter83
03-30-2014, 09:38 PM
So you are saying that the seal inside the third member axle tube is probably letting to much oil down the tube??

LFMotorsports
03-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Yes, that would be my guess. Someone use to make a cheap foam type product to use but I have not looked for that in a while. If you don't have an inner tube seal, install one. That resolved all my issues. I found this when I first bought that car, in which a gear was junk and oil on the RR rotor. When I inspected inside the gear housing, found no seal. I put a seal in both sides (left and right). Had no issues.

Duckhnter83
03-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Does this still allow some oil down the tube to oil the bearing?

MM90
03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
I have an inner axle seal on both tubes of my rear end. I just installed outer axle seals that install into snout where the axle goes into. With this setup you have to pack the wheel bearings with grease because little to no diff fluid will lubricate the bearings.

clbaker25x
03-31-2014, 11:38 AM
I have an inner axle seal on both tubes of my rear end. I just installed outer axle seals that install into snout where the axle goes into. With this setup you have to pack the wheel bearings with grease because little to no diff fluid will lubricate the bearings.That is what we do also. Have to grease the wheel bearings if you run innner axle seals. Good news is no oil on your brake rotors and mess everywhere.

LFMotorsports
03-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Grease wheel bearings as stated. Don't "over pack" the bearings so they don't run too hot but it's just like you front hubs. Hope this helps you out.

hughesracing9
04-01-2014, 01:33 PM
and it allows you to pull an axle while scaling with no mess. inner seals all the way

autoshop
04-01-2014, 02:37 PM
I have replaced the RR hub seal 2 times and its still leaking. Any way to get these things to seal up. I'm new to this. Someone told me a seal inside the third member could be the problem. Any help would be great!

way back in the day we used to steal the ole ladys tampons and use them in the tubes, but that was before they made inner seals....