PDA

View Full Version : Bert Transmission Shifting

Shane2403
04-06-2014, 08:20 AM
I just got a used bert, supposed to be ready to go, when I installed it the shifter seems to move easily to low gear and will go into the high gear when I roll driveshaft to line up splines, I can't seem to get it out of the high gear with the shifter. I can pop it loose with screwdriver effortlessly off of the trans. Reverse is the same way. This is all being done under the car not running. Seems like I am pulling on those shift levers awfully hard to move it out of gear. Or to get it into reverse. Enough to where it is jacking up interior aluminum. I pulled off side cover and it looks like it is moving fine, just acting like I can't get enough leverage to move it over the shift balls. Just seems to me it should be able to shift a little easier than it is now, but I don't know, I have never had one before. Any input would be appreciated. I am not opposed to taking it out and reworking it, but if this is normal, I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

jsf74
04-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Should be fine. They act funny when there not running.

29 avenger
04-06-2014, 08:49 PM
I had same problem and agree when motors is running all is fine but some times a quick pop with your palm works better than a hard push

LFMotorsports
04-07-2014, 04:35 PM
I had a hard time this year when I replaced reverse gear and clutches... In short, the reverse gear teeth are beveled on the side toward the tail shaft. It's not real obvious until it doesn't work right (experience here) and seeing the teeth are beveled on one side and pretty straight cut on the other. Bevel goes toward the back so it can sync with the low speed shaft. Just something to look into closely. If the gears inside the tranny are worn considerably, then it might be difficult to deal with.

Just something to look into if you see fit.

mudeater18
04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Also try moving the shift rods up on the shifter to gain leverage. Most shifters have 3 or 4 holes of adjustment.