PDA

View Full Version : rear lower shock mounts for rocket

lmdriver72
04-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Wondering is there a specific height below the center line of the rear axle that the lower shock mounts should be set at? I imagine the lower you go the more motion you get and I guess even spacing it away from the mouth would give you more motion is this better or worse. I do realize if you go to low you'll knock off the mount if you get a flat

Matt49
04-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Not sure of recommended settings for a Rocket but you are correct about the motion ratio making a difference.
In general, lowering the RR mount will tighten corner entry.
In general, lowering the LR mount will tighten corner exit.
Obviously not an easy adjustment to make at the track because it messes up your ride heights so most people find what they feel works and leave it alone.

7uptruckracer
04-08-2014, 08:17 AM
I think Rocket and most others are a standard 6" drop from axle centerline, then some have holes for 5" 7" 8 and some even 9"

lmdriver72
04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Okay thanks good info I know it's an adjustment I could only do in the shop during setup but I was hoping I could find more forward drive, like we're all looking for, by lowering both. they are both down to about 8 inches below centerline I know I'm flirting with disaster if we get a flat. just gonna give it a shot though.

Matt49
04-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Okay thanks good info I know it's an adjustment I could only do in the shop during setup but I was hoping I could find more forward drive, like we're all looking for, by lowering both. they are both down to about 8 inches below centerline I know I'm flirting with disaster if we get a flat. just gonna give it a shot though.

The other thing that you need to be careful of is that you don't end up over extending the shock. Be absolutely certain that your limiter chain is still catching before the shock tops out.

toyracer
04-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Not trying to Hijack the thread but would Mastersbilt drop for the shock be 6"s for both L&R sides from centerline?

Does this need to be measured in any specific way. Driver in car on Jack stands etc.

Very new to this stuff and just trying to learn all the little details.

thx

mab475
04-08-2014, 09:44 PM
The drop is measured from the centerline of the axel tube

toyracer
04-09-2014, 06:30 AM
Is it measured to the center of the shock eye or where shock mount is on birdcage?

7uptruckracer
04-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Center of your shock eye to the centerline of axletube I measure mine scale ready just out of habit i also have mine on 17" wheel stands so I can get under it to do such things or scale leveling pads.

lmdriver72
04-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Well we ran the car with 8 inches of dropped from the center line and it made no huge impact on Forward drive . Will go back to using left or right side drop for tight or loose handling. was worth a shot anyway. Still hard to tell on these rough springtime Pennsylvania tracks though

7uptruckracer
04-14-2014, 09:43 AM
If your searching for drive have you tried indexing on the cage?

lovin dirt
04-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Which bar would you index? And which direction? Up or down on birdcage, or forward or backward on birdcage?

7uptruckracer
04-15-2014, 06:43 AM
LUB down on the cage is a common adjustment it speeds up the indexing. Very Effective used when the tracks slicks off