PDA

View Full Version : Tow Rig Insurance

LateModel B23
04-10-2014, 05:41 PM
I guess I will just ask it here. How are some of you insuring your truck-trailer that you tow with. I have had mine thru the business with Hartford for years, but the rates have gotten ridiculous. I have talked to a couple of local brokers and they are saying that they would insure the truck, but as soon as any trailer - even a U-Haul - is attached to it the coverage stops. In other words I can use the truck to go get groceries but tow my trailer to the race track.

Another suggestion was to title the truck to me personally, insure it as such and do not mention towing anything. F550 towing a 40' Pace gooseneck.

LM14
04-11-2014, 12:25 PM
I just used State Farm normal insurance for my truck and bought a different policy for the trailer. Everything was covered and it wasn't expensive.

SPark

powerslide
04-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I work for an insurance company. The one listed by LM14. I'm not trying to sell insurance or anything. We insure the trucks seperate and then the trailer would need a seperate policy. Not sure what shiesty company would exclude coverage on the truck when you hook a trailer to it... Maybe they misspoken or you misunderstood.

On specialty vehicles like trailers, rv's, motorcycles they usually dont even send an adjuster anymore just send in your estimate and photos and usually get paid less the deductible. The liability coverage from the truck transfers to the trailer when it is attached. So coverage for the trailer is only for the trailer itself.

stockcar5
04-14-2014, 12:27 PM
i have a regular policy for my truck and a separate one for my trailer. trailer insurance is cheap..something like $60 per month. it's an all aluminum atc 28ft enclosed. fully loaded.

FlatTire
04-15-2014, 09:21 AM
I just went thru state farm for a new 38' gooseneck and it was $200/6mo for full coverage with $1000 deductible. Contents are covered up to $3500. Truck policy is separate from trailer.