PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Master Cylinder Question

fastlane99
04-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Put a new bert trans in today and sent old one away to get rebuilt. Hooked everything up and the clutch wont bleed at all. No pedal. I know the reservoir didn't go dry in the process. After trying several things we pulled the line off at the master cylinder and when the pedal was pushed a very small amount of fluid came out. Seems to be not enough though I have never investigated that. Is it possible the master cyl is now bad? We bled it to be sure air was out and we aren't getting air but not much fluid pushes out either. Im up for suggestions.

Lizardracing
04-13-2014, 10:51 PM
Pressure bleeding is the absolute best way to bleed any sort of brake or clutch hydraulic system. I use an old cap and drilled the top for an air fitting. I fill the M/C, attached the cap, turn down the compressor to 20lbs, attached the air hose, crawl under the car, open the bleeder valve, close the bleeder when you see a steady stream with out bubbles. (about 15 seconds or so. Pay attention to how much fluid comes out because if the M/C goes dry, you'll have to refill and start over. ) I use all the same M/C so the same cap works for brakes front and rear too.

wisdirtfan
04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Either there is a big air pocket or the master is bad.

Matt49
04-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Could just be some dirt or something clogged in it. I take it out and blast carb or brake cleaner through it backwards and see if it helps.

I'm personally not a big fan of the standard clutch master cylinders that have the line running out the top. We use a full size master cylinder on the clutch and found that it bleeds much easier because you eliminate the possibility of the line being higher than the fill level of the cylinder.