PDA

View Full Version : 25 lbs on motor plate

lemmm117
04-11-2014, 10:09 PM
2012 orange front rocket with steel engine alum heads, set back to 10". Rules mandate running 25 lbs in front of motor plate. Where should I place the weight? Left side, right side, up high, down low??? Run mainly shorter tracks that are medium banked smooth and slippery. We are always looking for tighter on acceleration and more traction. Any advice/input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

lmdriver72
04-12-2014, 07:58 AM
I talked to a guy at rocket about motor positioning they say any steel block should be moved to the left position on the motor plate mount I would also mount your weight high on the left side but scales would dictate its placement better

lemmm117
04-13-2014, 10:14 AM
What would the effects be for left vs. right side mounting? And high vs. low? I'm assuming certain positions would increase side bit and hurt forward bite, and vice-versa.

Matt49
04-13-2014, 04:06 PM
If you're not doing this using scales you're wasting your time.
Left vs right: You need to put it wherever gets your percentages where you want them.
Height: Higher provides more side bite and more forward bite because it is raising the vertical center of gravity and allowing for more weight transfer.

lemmm117
04-13-2014, 06:03 PM
I always scale the car for any changes that would affect the numbers. I've just read conflicting reports on where I should put the lead. Some say left, others right. One source said left for tack, right for dry. I'm just looking for input from others and their opinions on how placement of 25 lbs of ballast on the motor plate will affect the handling.

Bubstr
04-15-2014, 03:00 PM
If you're not doing this using scales you're wasting your time.
Left vs right: You need to put it wherever gets your percentages where you want them.
Height: Higher provides more side bite and more forward bite because it is raising the vertical center of gravity and allowing for more weight transfer.

The more of your replies, I read, the smarter you get. Very good reply.