PDA

View Full Version : Questions on scale numbers.

AH55
04-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Hey Guys, I just recently got a set of scales so am somewhat new to scaling..wanted to get some opinions on numbers. In the past we've always scaled full of fuel (32 gallons alky) and without driver. My new car is a bit heavier so I wanted to try 20 gallons with driver to lose some weight.
scaled it both with and without driver today.

Without Driver
LF 559 RF 465
LR 673 RR 628
48.9% Cross
52.9% Left
55.9% Rear

With Driver
LF 620 RF 465
LR 787 RR 672
49.1% Cross
55.9% Left
57.4% Rear
I guess what I'm questioning is the difference between the front weights too large? Also found it strange that the RF didn't change. I've never measured bite with driver in..am used to running about 35 pounds without driver, but it goes up to 115 with me in it. Havent got a chance to run yet so just curious how this car might handle with these numbers? Oh car is 4/4 LR spring behind fully floated. Thanks in advance for your help.

DRTRCR22
04-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Ok, here is my opinion only... do not take this to the bank because surely somebody else is going to argue these pointers. First, you should know that tire pressures are critical, as they are part of the suspension, so make sure your tire pressures are exactly what you set them for in the Main event... the money race, before you set them on the scales. Second, it is my belief that you should scale with half the fuel you would normally use up in a typical main event race, while leaving a couple gallons extra in before empty for cautions, etc. This way when you are heavy with fuel at the start of the race, and light of fuel at the end of the race, your scale right in the middle of the race will be a happy compromise between both spectrums. Set your initial ride height with this determined amount of fuel, without driver in most cases. You first question... the front split... no, those aren't too far off. Mine are 591 and 452 front, 697 and 597 rear.... but my car only weighs 2355 [with] my 250 butt in the seat and only 7 gallons of race gas (I fill to 14 gallons before 20 lap main event). My right front doesn't change either, with or without me. I run 100lbs of bite with me in the car... 49.27% cross, 55.01% left, and 55.31% rear. It sounds like your car is real darn close to balanced, and that much rear should give you plenty of forward bite...? I say start with what you got, and tweak it to your liking from there...??? ;o) BTW... my car is an '05 Shaw 4-4 with all steel motor (IMCA)... Wayne Brooks likes driving it... and he did real good in it (9th) when he raced it for me at the 2012 Fall Nationals at SNMS Las Cruces NM against the outlaw guys.

AH55
04-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Hey Drtrcr22, Thanks a lot for the tips. It's good to know the car is balanced and also that your RF doesn't change either...thought I was screwing something up. It does seem pretty close to yours and yours sounds fast, so I'll run it. Thanks again.