PDA

View Full Version : Couple of basic questions.

gjohnson
04-14-2014, 05:34 PM
4 bar car just starting out. Getting different answers to some basic questions so I thought I would try here.1. Lets say you have 2 inches of rear stagger and the car is pretty good in the heat race but the track dries off slick before the feature. Would you want to add stagger or take away? Not a lot of banking on the corners.2. If your car is loose off the corner will more left rear bite make it more loose or help push the left side of the car so it's straighter?Thanks in advance. Probably seems like dumb questions but trying to learn.

LM14
04-14-2014, 07:36 PM
If the track didn't change shape, why change stagger? Stagger is an adjustment to help a car go around a certain radius corner under throttle. I never changed stagger unless it was messed up to begin with. It's your judgment call as to whether you were right to begin with on stagger and leave it alone and change other things on the car or if your stagger was wrong to begin with and correct the stagger with a change. Let the arguing begin.

Adding LR will make the car tighter coming off the corner. It can also make the car looser going in on the brakes.

SPark

RRR_Products
04-14-2014, 07:57 PM
You will hear prob the following for feature if slicks off. J bar split increase Right side bars downRr strap at ride height More lr dropLr upper upShock changesRr slider in towards center Take spacer out rr or 4" offsetStagger decreased Lr bite Ballast weight moved higher and or rightPull bar pre load, height, left, and durometersBrake floater down right side and up leftThrottle stop and throwRun a CrateRev chip changeTimingThese are all the things I've seen guys do. Which do you do? Heck try em all out. Personally on 1/3 mile tracks and up I do j bar down a hole diff side, lower right side bars, 4" offset rr or spacer out, strap rr to ride height, and that's about it. Depending on shape of track ill change hike, bar angle lowers, shock valving, and lr bite. There are so many things you can do but what's best? Personally I believe the straighter the car is the faster it will go and the more balanced it will be. Make adjustments and take notes and really good ones. If you're serious and want to win you'll have to invest a lot of time. What you put in is what you get.

gjohnson
04-15-2014, 02:57 PM
LM14 Thank you for the response. Hadn't thought about stagger that way but certainly make sense and that is the approach I'll take from here out. The answer to the bite question confirms what I thought.RRR we have at 1 time or another worked on all of those ares. Seems like we work on the car all the time and are thinking about things to do or try all the time. I just felt like if I was wrong on these simple basic things then everything else would be wrong as well. Thanks again.

mudeater18
04-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Decreasing rear stagger and adding LR bite are 2 very common adjustments as the track dries out and becomes slicker.

Dirtrunner35
04-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Sometimes i take stagger out and I always take rear steer out for slick

Mosidebite
04-17-2014, 03:17 AM
A very smart racer once told me to only change stagger to effect center of corner handling. Has worked for me.

mod88s
04-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Why chain down the RR at ride height? I understand that if it gains angle on throttle it drives the RR more but why not just lower the Right upper bar instead of chaining it?

Lizardracing
04-19-2014, 11:26 AM
A bigger tire will have a bigger "footprint" and therefore inherently more traction when everything else is kept the same. Since race cars inherently can't be kept the same when changing just one thing be sure to figure in those changes in bar angle, effective spring rates, shocks, etc. and keep good notes so you know what the compromise was and then decide whether you can live with it or not.