PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems

Wheelman33
04-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Sorry guys, I know this has been brought up on here b4 but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I can't get the rear brakes right(soft pedal). I have 1" master cylinder for front and 7/8 for rear, and wilwood aluminum calipers with .19 spacers. Every part of the system is brand new. The hard line from the MC does run above the fluid level but every late model car I've owned were the same way and never a problem.

Any suggestions or am I expecting too much with these stock type calipers? I am new to mods

Also, why every time I bleed the brakes do I have to pump the pedal a few times to build the pressure back into the system? With the LM stuff it would always be there

Thanks guys!

stock car driver
04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
u got a leak or air still in the system if you have to pump it up

my pedal is as hard as a rock all stock calipers

Confused?
04-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Air is what's causing you to have to pump them up to get pressure. Gravity bleed them for a while and keep manual bleeding until you get all the air out. I have a very firm pedal with stock metric calipers as well.

HEAVY DUTY
04-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Check and make sure that you don't have a piston pulling back. Usually if you get all the air out, and then the pedal gets soft again, it is caused by the piston pulling back, and you have to pump the pedal a few times to push the piston back out before it can squeeze the rotor and build pedal pressure. A 2lb residual pressure valve will hold the piston out and keep the pedal hard. Also, if you have a bracket that isn't square with the rotor, it will causes a twisting motion, that will push the piston back.

dirtracer2a
04-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Might make sure you have the bleeder screws on the caliper pointed up.

hasben
04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Try bleeding master cylinder where the brake lines attach to it. Sometimes an air pocket is created there that you cannot bleed out at the calipers.