PDA

View Full Version : chrome moly

andre
04-20-2014, 07:17 AM
The Super Late Models chassis are built with chrome moly. Right?

Are they tig welded or mig welded?

Thanks!

LM14
04-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Can be moly or common steel. The biggest majority are mig welded. Every moly car I ever owned was mig welded. I don't know of any tig welded dirt chassis.

SPark

andre
04-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Thank you, appreciate

keeks
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
I don't think mig on chromoly is a good idea. Most sprint chassis are chromoly and they are all tig'd. Much better heat control with the tig. Chromoly can get brittle if welded too hot. The tubing will break at the edge of the heat affected zone, not at the weld itself.

HEAVY DUTY
04-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Very few builders use chrome moly. Most use DOM.

LM14
04-21-2014, 12:34 AM
All tubing will break at the HAZE. If it breaks at the weld you have an inferior weld.

Sprint cars have very few welds and brackets attached compared to a late model. Sprints are also made of smaller diameter tubing and it is generally much thinner. I have had moly late models and modifieds, all were mig welded and never had a cracking problem. Yes, we wrecked some of them pretty hard but never had an issue with the welding.

Lazer may tig their chassis. Maybe some of the smaller builders do but I'm not aware of any. You can mig with the right wire and proper heat settings with no problems. I have seen them use some type of stress relief after the welding process. Vibratory, freezing, heating and a slow gentle cooling. I think there is better tubing to use than moly, personally, but we have owned a few moly cars thru the years and all were migged.

SPark

gatorade
04-21-2014, 04:18 PM
my new lazer is moly and is miged.... this is a huge hot button topic with dlm guys, but in my opinion moly cars mig weled correctly are as good as any of them in performance and saftey. Rocket cars are all chrome moly and its hard to argue with their results.

kilroy be here
04-21-2014, 07:24 PM
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/forum/welding-discussions/2894-is-mig-welding-chrome-moly-safe?2819-Is-MIG-welding-Chrome-Moly-safe= http://www.dragstuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2476

Lizardracing
04-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Its a question without resolve. MIG isn't the best way(I.E. strongest) to weld CM by any technical standard but a quality MIG weld done with care is still plenty good enough for the specific application.

fastford
04-22-2014, 09:14 AM
mig weld using mild steel wire, this was discovered by drag chassis builders years ago when they were throwing tig welded chassis using moly filler rods away after one season because of the weld being brittle and stress cracking, using mild steel wire creates a more flexible weld that will last way longer. we have also used a mild steel filler rod with the tig and that's fine also, but we found no advantage over the mig and I personally like the mig..