PDA

View Full Version : Using alcohol vs gas

W2racing
04-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Is it feasible to use a mechanical fuel pump for alcohol on 600-650 hp or is it best to use a belt drive pump? I have seen mechanical pumps listed for alcohol, but my friends who run late model say a mechanical pump doesn't really work very well. If you would use a mechanical pump, which pump/brand would you use?

gangster49
04-20-2014, 12:15 PM
We tried using a Pro-Cam mechanical pump for alcohol on our modified last season. After trying 3 different regulators we still couldnt make it work right. Switched to a belt drive pump and everything was good

lovinlatemodels
04-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Yes you can with the Pro Cam make sure you have a #10 feeding the pump and #8 from pump to carb. We always used a #6 return to the tank with a Barry Grant regulator between the carb and return line to tank. Carried 3 to 4 lbs at idle and never had any problems holding 8 to 10 lbs at the end of the straight.

W2racing
04-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Yes you can with the Pro Cam make sure you have a #10 feeding the pump and #8 from pump to carb. We always used a #6 return to the tank with a Barry Grant regulator between the carb and return line to tank. Carried 3 to 4 lbs at idle and never had any problems holding 8 to 10 lbs at the end of the straight.

Thanks for the info. Which version of Pro Cam pump did you use? 11 or 15 psi pump?

racer1355inpa
04-21-2014, 06:25 AM
I sold a customer a CV Products Billet mechanical fuel pump for alcohol. Bulletproof for 3 years and counting. We replaced the diaphragm assembly one time. A little expensive but worth it imo.

lmdriver72
04-21-2014, 10:43 AM
We're on a Holley diaphragm pump I believe part number 12 dash 327 get the one for alcohol don't need a regulator runs about 8 to 9 psi at idle and doesn't give up at the end of the straight. I like them because there's no regulator or return line. Had problems with both in the past. just two less things to go wrong