PDA

View Full Version : Excessive oil out of breather

Wheelman33
04-20-2014, 12:24 PM
What causes so much oil to come out of the valve cover breather? Has a baffle in valve cover and scotch brute in breather tube. Have oil everywhere under the car! This is my first wet sump motor and don't like what I'm seeing

leadfoot_35
04-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Are you turning a lot of rpms? If so oil is being pumped to the top of the engine but isn't draining back to the pan as quick. I wouldn't put the scotch pads in the breather either. They can break down and start crumbling apart inside of the engine. I take the blue paper towels and fold it long ways and zip tie to the breather.

oldtrackchamp4x
04-20-2014, 07:26 PM
If might be the rings, was on one of my motors. Honed block and file fit the new rings and most of it went away. Other motor was new and it had some oil puking out of breather, put a evac system off of the front breather to the left header collector. No more puking oil. If you do evac make sure you do it exactly as the directions say. JMO

Lizardracing
04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Do a leak down test and that'll answer any questions you have.

Racer96m
04-21-2014, 01:40 PM
I turn 8500 rpm, I dont have a evac setup, and I get no oil from the breathers. I would think its the rings, but like mentioned, do a leak down test.

Dave

DRTRCR22
04-22-2014, 01:47 PM
I had the same exact problem.... a brand new Dart high dollar engine from a top notch engine builder, oozing from everywhere... breathers, fuel pump breather, distributor seal, etc. with 7800 IMCA limit chip, and 20-50 VR1 oil. Since IMCA does not allow dry sump systems, which I cannot afford anyway, I installed the Moroso crankcase evac system from Speedway (pn 54525900 / $59.99), and poof, not another drop of oil blown... and NO smoking or burning of oil like some said might happen...! PLUS as an added benefit... WOW this motor came ALIVE...! I need to have it dynoed again with the evac on and I am betting I picked up at least another 50 hp and maybe more than that in torque...! a huge difference I can feel on the track... ;)