PDA

View Full Version : Checking pinion angle

Mopar DLM
04-30-2014, 04:35 PM
which method do most people use? Degrees on pinion plate only or the total working angle of the u-joint by measuring the pinion plate and angle of driveshaft.

Lizardracing
04-30-2014, 04:58 PM
which method do most people use? Degrees on pinion plate only or the total working angle of the u-joint by measuring the pinion plate and angle of driveshaft.

Pinion angle is a relationship between drive shaft and yolk. It intended to give a measurement of the ujoint working angle. Any measurement that doesn't include both is subject to variables that can render the angle incorrect. Example, my car is set up to builders specs but the pinion angle is 8 and should be 6 because my shop floor is 2 off level to earth.

Mopar DLM
04-30-2014, 05:10 PM
i know that if i move the motor plate up or down it will change the combined angle. just wondering what was working best with some durability in mind.

Lizardracing
04-30-2014, 05:52 PM
There's also a working range that's acceptable for ujoint longitivtiy. I think it's around 10 degrees or less with ith 0 being somewhat undesirable so the rollers turn. Keeping on top of checking the wear is always the best thing no matter what. I check mine every week. It's fast and easy.
When looking for performance, you'll have to decide if the change in angles are acceptable or if other compromises have to made to compensate. Changing the pinion angle has more affect on the panhard bar and lift bar or pull bar angle when using a typical DLM rear suspension. You may find you have to change either one of those to get what you want.

FlatTire
05-01-2014, 09:01 AM
With the late model, I've always gone with 6degrees measured off the pinion plate and I'm pretty sure my chassis builder told me to do it this way.

Dana Spicer goes by driveline angle and measures the angle between the driveshaft and yoke(trans/rearend).

Back in my modified days, I'd set my pinion plate at 13deg which put the total driveline angle around 22deg. Makes good bite but u-joints didn't last long.

Mopar DLM
05-01-2014, 04:15 PM
thanks guys for the help that will give me a good starting point.