PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Shocks

RacerX10
05-01-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm a very infrequent racer and would like to buy some "general purpose" shocks that I don't expect to be right on the money every time, but won't be too far off the mark and I can just run them without making a bunch of changes.

4 link w/ pull bar config, 2350 lbs, open motor making ~ 800 HP. I usually run 450 or 500 springs on the front end and 175 - 250 on the back. Open for suggestions there, I'm racing on 10 year old setup information :)

Always running on D55's or eq.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

late96
05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Not sure what your looking to spend, I've got ARS double adjustable canisters fresh off dyno last spring and hav'nt been run since. Only shock not included would be pop up (didn't run one) and 5th coil.

RacerX10
05-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Not sure what your looking to spend, I've got ARS double adjustable canisters fresh off dyno last spring and hav'nt been run since. Only shock not included would be pop up (didn't run one) and 5th coil.

PM me a price ? I'll let you know if I "gasped" or not :)

Thanks !

Brian Gray
05-01-2014, 09:21 PM
i have had real good luck with bilstein stuff its very consistant cheap to maintain and easy on the pocket. the key is to work with a good shock builder and you will see gains over buying off the shelf pieces.

i sell and service every shock out there and have one of the best in the business doing the research work.

bowtech
05-02-2014, 08:02 AM
All shocks are wortless if u dont know how to use them no matter what they cost my advise is to pick something that alot of the guys your racing with use and then really put forth the effort to learn about shocks the more u learn the better off u will be going forward good luck

RacerX10
05-02-2014, 08:39 AM
All shocks are wortless if u dont know how to use them no matter what they cost my advise is to pick something that alot of the guys your racing with use and then really put forth the effort to learn about shocks the more u learn the better off u will be going forward good luck

Thanks for your comments. I found this page at ARS's site that pretty much spells out exactly what you need to do for tuning. I'm sure it's not the end-all of knowledge but it looks pretty specific :

http://www.advancedracingsusp.com/recommend.html

Integra has really extensive info on their site as well.

Bigracer93
05-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Your best bet if you want a ball park shock is to get integras standard 5 shock package.. It will be in the ball park almost everytime!

RacerX10
05-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Your best bet if you want a ball park shock is to get integras standard 5 shock package.. It will be in the ball park almost everytime!

Looked at their web site .. wow are those things really 800 bucks each ?!?!?!

hucktyson
05-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Yes they are 800 to pay for those 500 cars that have big keyser mfg decals on them

RacerX10
05-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Yes they are 800 to pay for those 500 cars that have big keyser mfg decals on them

That explains it :)

RacerX10
05-04-2014, 06:17 PM
So if I see some Integra shocks for sale, and they have been "valved at rocket for a black front end car" exactly what does that mean (specifically), and how would they work on, say, a GRT ?

Thanks !

RacerX10
05-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Also, is there any functional / performance difference between IDA (internal double adjustable) and external canister shocks ?

Thanks again !

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
You can build the ida with a canister. The difference comes when it is base valve or not. There are many combinations when it comes to shocks and depending on what you need is the difference. As far as shocks valved for this car an that car it all comes down to what you need to make the car behave the way you like. Those rocket valved shocks may work well with your grt but most shock people have their own preference on where you start.