PDA

View Full Version : shock question

dirtracer75r
05-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Im looking to buy some double adjustable shocks, whats everyones opinion about the silver afco? And would they be good out of the box? And what does everyone recomend?

TheJet-09
05-04-2014, 02:08 AM
I was out of racing for quite a while, mostly during the time that fancy shocks came to be the norm. The used MB I bought upon returning to racing had Penske's on it, but I had absolutely no idea how to adjust them. Then I bent a shaft on one so I bought a complete set of Afco's (Silver Series). The car seemed more predictable, but then again that could have just been me learning how to drive again (not that I ever really knew how to in the first place). So wanting more info I called Afco...absolutely useless. I then saw an Afco rep at a trade show...same exact thing. A long, long time ago I attended a RaceWise seminar with Mark Busch...extremely intelligent, but I can't say that his knowledge has transferred into their shocks. Maybe consider this: 1) The price has dropped considerably on them over the past year. Why? Because nobody uses them. 2) Afco will still pay you if you win a feature using their shocks. Why? Because nobody uses them. 3) Do you see any of the top touring drivers using them? They might be just as good as any other shock, so the problem is most likely with me. But when you invest that much and don't get what you had hoped, you're then stuck with them. Look around at what the fast guys by you are using. You might be better of with a used set that has been re-done. I'd be curious to hear what you come up with...

RacerX10
05-04-2014, 06:58 AM
I'll be watching this thread, I'm just getting back into racing myself.

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 08:10 AM
The shocks are OK. Just OK. But I know of no shock out there that will be close out of the box.

Find a builder to help you with your shock tuning. You will feel more confident in the product you purchased and will have someone to answer questions . we sell and service them all. We can sell new custom shocks with support for nearly the same as off the shelf pieces.

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Kyle Jones does our building and is probly the best in the business right now. Duane chamberlain is on his stuff and is a local racer killing the competition right now. Just picked up a double win this weekend.

weegee1000
05-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Very...... Very.... Very .... Untrue this is not who does his shocks !!!

hpmaster
05-04-2014, 09:43 AM
There are dozens of good shock guys out there who are too busy to set on 4M and brag about themselves. AFCO makes a good unit and will work out of the box well when combined with proper springs on a car set up and built well. Six Lakes Auto Parts 9251 N Six Lakes Rd, Six Lakes, MI 48886 (989) 365-4030 is a regional racer and has done AFCO's for myself and many racers in Michigan with very good results. Always got great turn around time with them as he always seems to have parts on hand. He is very honest and fair with every person who I have sent to him. I have also had good results with Kirk Loudey from Envy Suspension who is now out of Iowa with AFCO shocks. I am sure others have lot's of opinions on both my suggestions, that happens when you do lot's of shocks. JMHO

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 09:56 AM
we all know alot of people are upset that the secrets are being sold but look at how much better the racing has been this year.

so go ahead and try to mislead cause facts are facts . spencer was learning the shock stuff from kyle and he is doing the same thing it is helping alot of racers be fast this year. alot of racers weegee, alot

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 10:03 AM
hp i dont build the shocks. i promote my guys who are top in the business. its my job to be on here delivering the good info to racers who truely want an honest opinion. remember this business for years has been all about keeping your speed secrets and making sure you are one up on your competition. if you think for one second your buddy is gonna share with you any truth your in denile. we charge for the right info its how we continue to race but we give it to everyone not just a few. that burns them up but when you want to know the deal people are starting to realise where to turn.

hpmaster
05-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Brian Gray your quote "most racers are scum bags" says what you think about this sport and then you wonder why they won't tell you everything, brilliant! Brian do alot of free work get some guy's going fast and build your own reputation by actions not words, then respect this sport and all the people past and present. I have to go now, I have three race cars in the shop to fix, that happens when your cars get on a track more than 3 times a year. JMHO

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Where do you come up with 3 races I personally ran more than 20 last season. That doesn't include what I did with the 7 teams I consult with better get your facts straight

dirtracer75r
05-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys, im still looking around right now, ill only be running a few tracks whats your opinions on just buying some rebuildable shocks like the bilstein sns/an and just change shocks ?

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 11:54 AM
The bilstein sn is what I run most bang for your buck by far. I prefer them and anything penske if your looking for top the line.

dirtracer75r
05-04-2014, 11:58 AM
So if i get a couple for each corner id be fine running these agaisnt double adjstable? If you can pm Brain it says your inbox is full

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Shop# 513-519-7745 just call me tomorrow I'll give ya the lowdown

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 12:07 PM
You can make an sn double adjustable to you can add canisters even make them base valve if you want.

weegee1000
05-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Brian, Kyle and i are good friends,he knows asphalt i know dirt, we worked togeather for 3 years on shocks, we both learned alot about shocks, i did you a favor and let him build a set of shocks for you WITH my numbers... so dont take credit for my work... The top 4 cars out of 6 had my shocks on at Florence last night nad 2 out of 5 had my shocks on at Moler , i try to be professional about this so quit trying to take credit.

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 12:29 PM
My apologies Ken. But kyle told me he had been doing them if that's not the case or if that's a misunderstanding I sincerely apologize. Kyle agreed to take care of my customers and I wanted to get word out sorry if my info is not accurate.

hucktyson
05-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Brian your a shock guru but your 5 seconds off the pace...... Who in their right mind would pay you do to anything on a race car ??? People buy what wins not what gets lapped

weegee1000
05-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Apology excepted! Brian you not a bad guy, just sometimes your mouth gets you in trouble, Think a little more and get facts straight befor you talk. Hang in there and good luck.......

Brian Gray
05-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Just trying to get word out and bring some work in for kyle . I have never said I was a shock guru but I am very schooled in how a race car works and I think you will agree kyle Jones knows his stuff too.

blncfn57
09-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Brian, Kyle and i are good friends,he knows asphalt i know dirt, we worked togeather for 3 years on shocks, we both learned alot about shocks, i did you a favor and let him build a set of shocks for you WITH my numbers... so dont take credit for my work... The top 4 cars out of 6 had my shocks on at Florence last night nad 2 out of 5 had my shocks on at Moler , i try to be professional about this so quit trying to take credit.

There are 2 rules to success:

#1. Don't ever tell everything you know.

#2. .........

dirtdiggerracing
09-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Afcos are good shocks !! Give me a call if you need shocks I will be glad to talk to you !!
Michael at Downforce Race Suspensions 256-740-9729

PenskeShocks
09-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Anyone interested in learning a bit more about shocks in general, and will be at PRI, swing by our booth or stop by and see our seminar. You can call Penske, speak with James Stevens, Aaron Lambert, or Ronny Crooks. They are all helping quite a few guys now running in different series with a great baseline package. Whether its a crate car or not, I am sure we can bolt something on out of the box you will like. And we can guarantee the best customer support...